New Shortcuts From Nowhere

gplatt2000 16:35 11 Mar 03

I have noticed that on my desktop I have two new shortcts - one saying 'Supercharge Your PC' and the other 'Check for Spyware'. Both are links to the internet. I havent put these here, but when I delete them they soon reappear - what could be the cause of this and how do I stop this?? Is it a security problem????? Thanks alot in advance, GavIN

Gongoozler 16:49 11 Mar 03

GavIN, I think they have probably been put there by what is effectively spyware, that is small pieces of software that has been downloaded to your pc without your permission. If you right click on the "Check for Spyware" shortcut and look at the properties it may give you a clue as to which site is responsible. If you download a reputable Spyware detection utility such as Ad-Aware from Lavasoft click here, hopefully it will trap and remove the guilty software.

gplatt2000 17:00 11 Mar 03

Thanks - can't check for site just yet as theyve not magically reappeared yet, but will when they do. Also, Is Spybot any good at finding spyware? thanks again, Gavin

Gongoozler 17:08 11 Mar 03

Hi Gavin, I use Ad-aware but Spybot also has had good reports on this forum. E.g. click here. As they only run on request, there is no risk of them clashing as would happen with 2 antiviruses, so I don't see any harm in having both on your machine.

It is quite possible that the problem software came from a computer magazine cover disk. These often sneakily install extra software.

gplatt2000 17:10 11 Mar 03

TRhanks a lot. Found loooooooooots of psyware - about to now delete so hopefuly the shortcuts will stop!! Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5