new setup

SOUNDFADER 23:07 29 Aug 03

can anyone help, i am putting together a computer for a friend, i was given a socket 462 motherboard only two months old, i have a case and psu already but just wanted to know can i put in a amd 1.2gig chip that i already have, and also i have just been told i need to buy some gel that goes between the chip and heatsink is that right, any help as soon as would be great thanks

woodchip 23:22 29 Aug 03

You have not provided enough info. What Mobo what chip to be exact

sil_ver 23:23 29 Aug 03

You will need to identify the motherboard and then check with manf. for cpu compatability. You most certainly will need a compound between the die and heatsink. It is suggested that Arctic Silver is the best. You will also need a PSU in excess of 300w.

Philip2 23:33 29 Aug 03

You can buy thermal paste from PC WORLD ect very cheap the 1.2gig CPU as long as it is the same as the mobo fine if say the mobo it came from is socket A or socket 378 no it wont and you can't put say an AMD onto an intel board one more thing check the mobo spec for the max size CPU it will support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…