new sata hdds

morning, im changing my 160 gb and my 80gb ide hdds for 2 sata drives. they are both copied to an external drive using norton ghost. have updated my bios and have all connections the new drives are oem, whats the best way to do this? do they need formatting? i am concidering a clean install will windows format the o/s drive prior to installing?
thanks.

ened 08:49 27 Nov 07

All I would say to you is only plug one in for the install.

When I plugged two in Windows refused to recognise either of them until I installed RAID drivers, which I didn't want to use.

Also, even though I have Vista Ultimate it refused to install using my SATA DVD. So I had to use an old ide one.

Hope this helps.

hi thanks guess it's going to be trial, error and a lot of bad language, my dvd is eide, i just wondered if i could plug the sata drives in to format them, or maybe one eid drive and one sata, doers anyone know if windows will format the o/s drive during install, or do i have to do it first, cant find a bios feature to do this? thanks for the reply.

ened 09:46 27 Nov 07

Assuming you have XP or Vista the answer is that yes windows will format the drive as part of the install.

Boot to the disc and follow the instructions.

thanks for that, when i run sfc /scannow it tells me there is a currupt file it cant repair, so im going to reinstall just needed to check first. many thanks.

all done, clean install, it wouldnt install with both connected as ened said, sfc scannow still shows the same error! lol so im guessing it's an nvid driver or nod 32 thing, as i have nothing else on the pc yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009