New SATA drive - revisited

chub_tor 13:35 15 Dec 07

I am having a problem with my new SATA drive click here I have made some progress. I installed Win XP SP2 onto a small 20Gb PATA and then copied all the files across using the Western Digital Lifeguard system. At the end of this exercise the BIOS can see the drive and Windows XP on the old PATA drive can see the new SATA drive partitioned into two lots of 250Gb. So far so good.

However if I remove the power on the PATA drive so that I try to boot on the SATA drive it fails every time with an Error Loading Operating System.

If I go back to the BIOS, the SATA drive is there and recognised as the first boot device. So it seems that somehow XP is not correctly installed from the copy.

Any suggestions welcome - I am fast losing my patience with SATA!

AndySD 15:52 15 Dec 07

click here look at trying the Raid Floppy Disk

I am Spartacus 15:57 15 Dec 07

Also look for a setting in the BIOS that allows a SATA drive to emulate an IDE one. You will lose a bit of performance by doing this but I couldn't tell the difference.

chub_tor 22:22 16 Dec 07

Thanks to all who helped I can finally close this thread.

After 3 days and around 30 hours of trying I eventually got my new SATA drive recognised both in the BIOS and by Windows and by using the Western Digital Lifeguard tools I was able to get XP installed on one partition of the new drive.

First I flashed the BIOS with the latest version and then I did a full erase of the hard drive by writing zeros to the whole drive using a WD utility. On re-booting even the BIOS didn't see the drive! I cleared the CMOS with the jumper and then reset all the settings and the new drive was recognised again.

I used Lifeguard in DOS mode to partition the new hard drive into two equal parts and then again used Lifeguard to make the first partition a boot drive by copying across the files from the small 20Gb IDE PATA drive. I presume that by doing this all the required SATA drivers that I couldn't get recognised using the F6 method were then also copied.

Lo snd behold when I disconnected the PATA drive and rebooted Windows XP came up on the new drive. All that reamains now is to put back all my programmes and use the Files and settings transfer wizard to be back to where I was a week ago!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced