New Samsung CD-R/w crashes Win98se

Wharfhouse 13:37 01 Feb 08

Hi to all out there!

Hope you can help... I recently installed a Samsung SH-R522C and installed the latest drivers from their website (some sort of image file with an installer). It appeared to install correctly but there's no clues whether it in fact actually has (Device Manager states no drivers appear to have been loaded for this device!).

Trying to do a test burn using HP Memories Disc Creator (for photo's) it keeps failing. The only other CD burning software installed is some utility in Real Player. I gather that the DMA box should be ticked for that drive under its properties. However, on doing this and then having to restart, windows crashes on boot-up. Fortunately the Scanreg /restore facility is a nifty little tool for rolling back!

Should DMA box be checked for this drive? If so why should it upset the OS (the BIOS is configured to handle DMA)? If not, what sort of settings should there be for this hardware? You don't get much support or info from Samsung!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sandy

jimv7 13:59 01 Feb 08

I suggestt you uninstall the drivers you put on, I have never installed any drivers for 98 upwards, windows has generic drivers of its own.

woodchip 15:41 01 Feb 08

You should not load Drivers for optical drives, the writing software like Nero loads them on top of Windows Read Drivers. Check device Manager to see if the drive is running in DMA mode if it is try turning it off, or vice versa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…