New S-ATA DVD re-writer not available in Win2k

Heefie 16:44 25 Mar 05

Well, that's about it really, though I'll explain fully ...

I have an Athlon 2.4 (I think !) processor running on a Chaintech 7NJS EZ Motherboard, 1Gb of RAM running Win2k.

I have 1 S-ATA Hard drive and 1 IDE Hard drive and this morning I had an IDE ASUS DVD 16x ROM and a Plextor CD-re-writer, also on IDE ... all worked fine.

I removed the Plextor CD re-writer (slave, from IDE) & replaced it with an S-ATA Plextor DVD re-writer PX-712SA. According the the installation instructions that is all I have to do, except re-boot.

However, although there is power to the new drive and the connection leads appear to be OK, there is no indication, either in the BIOS at start-up, throughout the Boot, nor once win2k has started, that it exists ... it is just as if it's not there !!!

Everything else is working just fine ...

I wondered if I had to set up anything new during startup, when the system accesses the S-ATA HDD, but it says there is no new disk, so I assume that that's for Hard Drives only ...

Any ideas ?!?!?

Fingees 16:56 25 Mar 05

MMake sure you instal SATA drivers. Also enable sata in your bios. Then it will show in the bios boot up after everything else.

Heefie 17:01 25 Mar 05

... does that not mean that the drivers are installed ?!?

Heefie 00:02 29 Mar 05

Is there nobody out there, in this supposedly wonderful plethora of experts, that has any idea about this ?!?!?!

I suppose I could write to the mag itself (which I subscribe to) and see if they could attempt to give me an answer, but then again, could I wait the 6 weeks (or so) lapse time, and after all that, would my question deem more importance than some pillock who can't work out his IE6 settings ?!?!?

Pissed off ? Moi ?!?!?

goonerbill © ® 00:35 29 Mar 05

Heefie
just calm down. SATA is fairly new and not everyone nows a lot about it (just looking in this forum should tell you this).
yes you dvd writer should be seen (i think, but then again, i dont know to much about SATA, even though i have it on my mobo but am not using it yet) as you say you have a SATA hd attached and can be seen. all i can suggest is that you try booting up with the dvd drive connected to the same cable the hd is connected to and see if that works (dont reconnect SATA drive). if it works, connect the hd to the other SATA connection and work from that.

sorry i can't be of more help

dan11 00:55 29 Mar 05

" I removed the Plextor CD re-writer (slave, from IDE) & replaced it with an S-ATA Plextor DVD re-writer PX-712SA. According the the installation instructions that is all I have to do, except re-boot. "

Those instructions will be for the S ATA interface and not the P ATA interface. You will need to set it as slave for Parallel ATA.

" The immediate advantage of SATA over EIDE for optical drives such as these is the lack of configuration needed -- there are no jumpers to set, and no BIOS settings required. "

click here

" Is there nobody out there, in this supposedly wonderful plethora of experts, that has any idea about this ?!?!?! "

you taking the urine sample?

tarkus 07:15 29 Mar 05

not sure about this but i seem to remember that some early SATA bios's on early revision motherboards could only be used for hard drives not cd /dvd drives. have alook in your motherboard manual or on the Chaintech web site. pretty sure this is your problem. My Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe can handle them but my MSI KT8 Neo can't

Heefie 10:08 30 Mar 05

goonerbill - yes, you are of course correct & SATA does seem to be a rather vague area, both here and elsewhere on the internet. I'm now calm enough to see that ;-)

dan11 - SATA & PATA ?!? Now I'm even more confused. Surely there is no primary & slave on these channels, just a single cable ... and me "take the ....", as if :-) !!! At least it got my post BTTT & got some responses ;-)

tarkus - spot on, thanks.

To clear this up for anybody else looking, my M/B (a Chaintech Zenith 7NJS EZ) can NOT handle optical DVD drives, but Hard Drives only. I have now been told this by Chaintech support in Taiwan after getting bounced by their automated support on their web site, and their UK and USA support addresses !!!

I've also been told, after asking if there will be a Software upgrade for the M/B to handle this, that the problem is a "PROMISE Chipset limitation" ... so the obvious question is ... can I upgrade, either hardware or software, the Chipset ?!?!?

Heefie 20:56 04 Apr 05

... so I'm closing the thread !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…