New Rules for Electrical Safety

Graham ® 10:55 11 Jan 05

which came into force on 1st January, and also new cable colours:

click here

JIM 11:13 11 Jan 05

Thanks for that, it is good to keep informed with modern rule changes whatever.

Trying to remember to implement them without getting in trouble will be the hard part. Though,if it affects your pocket (selling property etc.) may make you think twice. All i have to do now is use up a lota soon to be replaced cable by 2006. ;(

Jim.

Strawballs 11:27 11 Jan 05

Thanks for that very useful

stlucia 13:14 11 Jan 05

A useful link, thanks Graham. Nice to see that unqualified persons are permitted to do "... extra power points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in a kitchen or bathroom, or outdoors) ...". That's more than I had hoped for when reading the stories in the press.

€dstowe 13:30 11 Jan 05

How is this law to be enforced?

Are there to be undercover agents watching every electrical purchase at B&Q or Homebase, then following the poor unfortunate home, listing his address in readiness for a dawn raid?

Are there to be random raids at homes across the country checking to see if any "illegal" electrical installations are there?

Seems to my akin to the Bottom Inspectors in Viz comic where heavily uniformed officers carry out raids to check if the population have used their toilet paper correctly.

Or is is just another knee-jerk, toothless regulation with no hope of being enforced, brought in to appease some pressure group?

Graham ® 13:37 11 Jan 05

My thoughts exactly! They seem to be pinning their hopes on house sales, being able to produce a certificate may form part of the contract.

Stuartli 13:56 11 Jan 05

Going to be awkward when you want to change a light bulb in the middle of the night...:-)

How long will it take the nanny state and its ever increasing meddling in our daily lives to get an expert to the front door?

€dstowe 14:06 11 Jan 05

This house sale thing is a load of rubbish as well. I bought a house last year. Before I laid out any money, it was inspected by my own surveyor and by a surveyor from the property insurers and pronounced safe by both. We don't need any more nanny laws here or anywhere else.

Gongoozler 14:12 11 Jan 05

I agree Stuartli. If people can't put a new socket in the kitchen, we'll be back to the bad old days of numerous trailing wires from adaptors. The only people who'll benefit will be the registered inspectors who have to check the work. The stupid thing about this is that my degree in electrical engineering and 40 years experience as an electronics engineer will count as nothing because I don't have the bit of paper that says I can wire a socket.

Spark6 15:36 11 Jan 05

In my humble opinion these regulations should have been introduced a long time ago. About the time that DIY stores started selling sufficient electrical equipment for the layman to rewire a house.

When a householder 'modifies' the electrical installation in his/her own home in an inadequate manner, it is they, and their immediate family, who are at risk, and it's not the Bottom Inspectors who will be called in.

However, when that property is sold on, it is the buyer, ignorant of the risk, who is exposed. Building society surveyors do not uncover these dangers because of the work involved and the expertise required.

sattman 15:42 11 Jan 05

I would see no problem making the system work, it will simply follow the route of the Fensa regulations, when you sell you will have to declare any electrical work done since Jan 2005 and whether you have a certificate or not.
It will most probably also be called for in any investigation of a fatal electrical related accident in the home.
Unfortunately it is very difficult to to draw a line between knowlegable DIY and those who have no idea.
Having seen at first hand some of the dangers created by people who did not understand the risk of eletricity I think that this legislation was needed.

The regulation is not stopping anyone from doing maintenance, sockets, light fixtures and wiring can continue to be replaced, if it like for like.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…