New Router Question For TalkTalk Fibre

JayDay 11:58 03 Jan 14
Answered

I have Fibre (76mb) with TalkTalk and currently using their provided router. It's ok but I'm looking for something that offers a bit more. Looking around I quite fancy the TP-Link TL-WDR4900 N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit CABLE Router.

My question is does this one work on a Fibre setup, the word Cable is confusing me as I don't have cable, only Fibre to cabinet via a BT line.

alanrwood 12:16 03 Jan 14

I'd also like to know the answer so made this post to allow me to be advised of replies.

JayDay 14:10 03 Jan 14

Here's a link to the router and spec click here

JayDay 18:04 03 Jan 14

Thank you for the reply. I do have an Openreach VDSL modem which my current router connects to.

Secret-Squirrel 09:38 04 Jan 14
Answer

"... I quite fancy the TP-Link TL-WDR4900.......I do have an Openreach VDSL modem......My question is does this one work on a Fibre setup"

Yes, in principle it should work fine. However, if either of you guys subscribe to TalkTalk TV Services then it probably won't work.

Apparently, the TalkTalk fibre service doesn't require authentication, so when you're setting up the TP-Link connection type, choose "Auto-Detect", and if that doesn't work, manually set it to "Dynamic IP".

In the unlikely event that you do have problems connecting, post on the TalkTalk forums as there are loads of users who use a different router.

JayDay 10:17 06 Jan 14

Thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…