New router

markcomp 08:31 05 May 06

My D-Link router has done good service for some years, but has now died.
Any suggestions as to a replacement. We have two computers hooked up for work and two for the kids.
I have no need for wireless just yet, but would like the printer to be shared through the router. - XP sharing seems a little problematic as I frequently have to re-install it.
Many thanks for any suggestions, it is very difficult to search for a router without picking up an infinite number of spurious links and advertising.

Aargh 11:21 05 May 06

I recommend the Belkin F5D7632-4 - 4 ethernet ports + wireless. Its good kit and has good security features on the wireless side if you decide to go wifi.

Tog_ 12:35 05 May 06

Do you want just a router or a combined modem/router?

You'll need at least 5 ports either way.

markcomp 13:49 05 May 06

I think just a router as the modem is supplied by the ISP

Smiler 15:02 05 May 06

click here
for you network
and
click here
for your printer

ade.h 16:30 05 May 06

In that case, DO NOT buy the 7632 as mentioned above. Not because it isn't any good - I have it, and it's one of my favourite routers - but because it is a modem/router and if you are a cable customer, you can't use one of those. Go with Smiler's suggestion perhaps.

markcomp 20:23 05 May 06

thanks all, despite not being bothered about wireless the Linksys router mentioned by smiler seems a very good deal. Could i use one of the ports for a VOIP phone?

mgmcc 22:36 05 May 06

<<< the Linksys router mentioned by smiler seems a very good deal. >>>

PC World are currently offering the WRT54GS (the Speedboster version) bundled with WUSB54GS USB Wireless Network Adapter for £50 in total, which is a very much better deal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…