New router

markcomp 08:31 05 May 06

My D-Link router has done good service for some years, but has now died.
Any suggestions as to a replacement. We have two computers hooked up for work and two for the kids.
I have no need for wireless just yet, but would like the printer to be shared through the router. - XP sharing seems a little problematic as I frequently have to re-install it.
Many thanks for any suggestions, it is very difficult to search for a router without picking up an infinite number of spurious links and advertising.

Aargh 11:21 05 May 06

I recommend the Belkin F5D7632-4 - 4 ethernet ports + wireless. Its good kit and has good security features on the wireless side if you decide to go wifi.

Tog_ 12:35 05 May 06

Do you want just a router or a combined modem/router?

You'll need at least 5 ports either way.

markcomp 13:49 05 May 06

I think just a router as the modem is supplied by the ISP

Smiler 15:02 05 May 06

click here
for you network
and
click here
for your printer

ade.h 16:30 05 May 06

In that case, DO NOT buy the 7632 as mentioned above. Not because it isn't any good - I have it, and it's one of my favourite routers - but because it is a modem/router and if you are a cable customer, you can't use one of those. Go with Smiler's suggestion perhaps.

markcomp 20:23 05 May 06

thanks all, despite not being bothered about wireless the Linksys router mentioned by smiler seems a very good deal. Could i use one of the ports for a VOIP phone?

mgmcc 22:36 05 May 06

<<< the Linksys router mentioned by smiler seems a very good deal. >>>

PC World are currently offering the WRT54GS (the Speedboster version) bundled with WUSB54GS USB Wireless Network Adapter for £50 in total, which is a very much better deal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now