New Roaming Profile / Workstation Added to Network

scp99 09:09 10 Apr 08

Hi All,

I have a server running SBS2000 . I am having a problem with a new PC that I have recently purchased.

I bought 2 new Dell Desktops to join the existing network (both running windows XP Pro SP2). One has joined successfully and the newly created roaming profile works fine.

I have created two new roaming profiles and added the computers through the Small Business Server Administrator Console.

I have a problem with one of the newly acquired machines / profiles.

The newly created user profile works fine on pre existing workstations on the network. When logging on to the domain with the profile there are no problems.

Likewise other roaming profiles can log on to the new Workstation to the domain without any problems.

However when I try to log that user profile on to the domain via that (the new) Workstation then I am presented with a message stating that the machine could not locate the server copy of the roaming profile and would use the local stored profile.

When logged on to the domain user the locally stored profile then the user can see the network and read / write files etc. However the mapped net work drives do not seem to function correctly and there is a security/access rights issue.

I have made the user a member of the local Administators for that Workstation.

1] If the workstation was incorrectly joined to the network other users profiles when logging on to the domain would not work (On that workstation).

2] If it were a user profile error then that profile would not be able to log on to other machines to the domain and work 100% correctly.

I have checked that the user has permission on the server to access the new workstation.

The error seems to be when both are used [the new workstation together with the new profile]

Any help would be appreciated.

recap 13:10 10 Apr 08

Check the Event Viewer on the server and client machine for any errors generated for this issue. Post the Event ID number and Source.

recap 13:23 10 Apr 08

After a quick goolge I found error's 1500 & 1521 may be generated if so:

It sounds like a permissions error -- the system isn't able to access the directory where the profiles are stored with the user's credentials. When Admins log in, their credentials aren't sufficient to access the profile location.

Check the profile directory on the server to see if those admins who can log in have two profile directories. If this is the case, you'll need to give all users the "Create Folders/Append Data" for that directory so it can create the profile folder. Check out
click here
for more on profile directory permissions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5