New Rig

pattison 12:04 04 Jun 08

click here

What do you reckon of this new rig?

Mainly going to be for gaming, but also made for future upgrades

carmichy 13:08 04 Jun 08

That would cost a fortune here in the Philippines But good luck with it I am sure you will get loads of post in the course of this thread

Ditch999 16:17 04 Jun 08

The CPU is the retail version yet you are buying another HS fan? Why not get the CPU only?
4GB Ram? It wont all be seen by windows. 2GB is ample and get some low latency ones.
No mention of a good PSU.
I would be inclined to add another HDD. A WD 150GB (or 74GB) Raptor to run OS and games. Your WD Caviar (Hitachi Deskstar for Document storage and an image file for backup.
A bigger monitor would also make an awful difference, something like a 22" one.

rossgolf 16:19 04 Jun 08

as above. get a different CPU as that is like one of the low ones that you can get.

citadel 17:55 04 Jun 08

a 22" monitor is better for gaming. what about a psu, you need a quality unit £80 plus.

I am Spartacus 18:37 04 Jun 08

Performance versus cost means the Q6600 is still excellent value. However I would check what voltage you're advised to run it at to 'guarantee' 3.3GHz.

Most Q6600 on sale now seem to be the 95W G0 stepping model which is supposedly the best for overclocking although every processor requires different voltages.

I can guarantee mine to 3.6GHz but only if I up the voltage to over 1.6V. I can also guarantee mine to 3.3GHz (which is what it runs at) but with a voltage of 1.48V. Mine isn't the best example of an overclocking Q6600.

Increased voltage means increased heat and a good quality heatsink e.g. Thermalright Ultra (Extreme)/Noctua NH-U12 is needed. There's a slight to moderate chance that with an increased voltage that its life may be short.

The Zalman cooler is reported as good but noisy. Check out Frostytech for reviews particularly the temperature comparisons at the conclusion of the article click here

I would agree that a 22" monitor would be better.

I am Spartacus 18:40 04 Jun 08

P.S. 2GB RAM with a 32 bit OS would be adequate for your stated use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced