new ram problems

spcguessed 15:02 18 Dec 05

i've recently bought an extra 2 x 1gb ram sticks for my pc which is currently running on 2x 512mb. when i added the extra ram to the motherboard it began running quite unstable. i've tried the new ram in there on its own and works fine. the mother board is a an asus motherboard that is capable of 4gb of ram so i'm wondering if anyone can explain why the two ram wont run together. the ram is DDR400 PC3200 and the manufacturers are Corsair Value Select (new ram) and Elixir (old ram).

any help would be much appreciated

recap 16:50 18 Dec 05

It may depend on which way around you installed the Ram.

The highest Ram should go in slot one then the lowest Ram in the next. So in your case the 1Gb sticks should be in slots 1 & 2 with the 512 in slots 3 & 4. Some board do take a lot of Ram, but remember it all may not show up but it is still there. One of the reasons for this is that if one stick fails the other will take over.

I cannot see an issue with the two different manufatures sticks as long as they are of the same type.

SANTOS7 17:05 18 Dec 05

It may well be down to haveing different brands of memory, they all have slightly different properties
and sometimes are just not compat.
click here

Fingees 18:44 18 Dec 05

Try the new one with one of the old .
If that works it may be they have to be installed in pairs. Even in this day and age, such thing happen.

Anyway it's worth a try.
All the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…