New RAM Has Stopped My Monitor Working

DavidM4 20:48 23 Nov 07

Started this thread click here which subsequently lead to me posting this thread, anyway I tried inserting the new RAM again and the monitor won't respond, it's like there is no power going out of the mobo (usb led for wireless mouse/keyboard not lit) but now I've removed the new RAM and left just the old in still nowt! Doin my head right in, any suggestions much appreciated.

DavidM4 21:07 23 Nov 07

Didn't actually buy Crucial RAM just used their system scan to get the RAM spec I needed, actually bought PNY RAM, is this where I've gone wrong? Why will my PC not work with just the old RAM in alone?

Belatucadrus 00:06 24 Nov 07

Check the video card is still seated properly in the MOBO, you may have dislodged it slightly while fitting the new RAM.

Quiller. 00:23 24 Nov 07

Whats the make and model of your computer or motherboard.

What is the code number for the stick of ram?

DavidM4 11:27 24 Nov 07

Checked the graphics card and it's ok.

This is the motherboard click here

and this is the RAM M2Y1G64DS8HB1G-5T

Quiller. 12:41 24 Nov 07

The ram you have bought is ddr 400. Your motherboard can take either sdram or ddr ram, you haven't mixed the types of ram, have you? i.e. put the ddr stick in when there was a stick of sd ram in the motherboard?

If the ram is the same type, try clearing the cmos via the motherboard jumper, then insert the new ram and try.

Have you tried just the one stick in by it's self?

PS

You do know that this is high density ram and will only work in limited computers. have you checed this?

DavidM4 13:01 24 Nov 07

I did insert the ddr while the sdr was in, I thought the Crucial system scan said it would be ok, I know now I was wrong, I'll try the one on it's own.

Any ideas if that doesn't work? Will PC World allow me to return the new RAM? If I can get my PC back to it's original state (old RAM set up) it will run ok now the trojan has gone.

DavidM4 13:07 24 Nov 07

No nothing with just the new RAM. I've put just the old RAM in and still nothing, any ideas?

Quiller. 13:15 24 Nov 07

' I did insert the ddr while the sdr was in, I thought the Crucial system scan said it would be ok, I know now I was wrong, I'll try the one on it's own. '

You may have done major damage to either the ram chips, one running at 3.3v and the other at 2.6v or even the motherboard. Try one chip at a time and keep your fingers crossed.

'Any ideas if that doesn't work?'

You have got high density ram that works in very few computers 128Mx64. Take it back to pcworld and explain that the saleman gave you high density and not low density, that you need. Thats taking into account that you haven't blown any of the ram chips on the 1Gb stick.:-(

Quiller. 13:19 24 Nov 07

' No nothing with just the new RAM. I've put just the old RAM in and still nothing, any ideas? '

It looks as if you have done some major damage. have you got either another stick of sdram or ddr ram that you could try?

You could try taking it back to pcworld and say they sold you high density and the mchine will only take low density.

If you are honest you will tell them what has happened and they might test the module in a machine to see if it works.

If they swap the memory or exchange for 2 x512Mb of ddr ram. take it:-)

DavidM4 13:32 24 Nov 07

I tried the old RAM one at a time and nothing, I'll go back to PC World and see what they say, I fear for my motherboard though, I find it strange that nothing responds to it (monitor, led on the wireless dongle) gutted!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…