new ram causing reboot loop

JHL 20:58 27 Sep 03

I attempted to improve my pc performance by adding a stick of 128Mb ram alongside the existing one.

However, whilst it appears to be recognised during startup, the system auto-reboots during Windows 2000 load up. I cannot bypass this problem using Safe Mode and don't know what to do next.

Can anyone help?

WaiKent 21:02 27 Sep 03

try switching everything off and see if the ram is actually in properly. that might be the fault, im not sure.

oglemire 22:46 27 Sep 03

Im sure that this is seated correctly if you can see it in the POST. Ive never seen this before but the RAM seems to be the cause. If I was you I would take the new chip out and then look on the PC / MB manufacturers website to see what RAM is compatable with your system. I have seen some memory only work with some systems although spec wise it should be comptable.... . .

TommyRed 23:11 27 Sep 03

I bought 128Mb of RAM from a local shop, never worked,in fact I had a jumbled up screen. Took the tower to the shop where they tried loads of different sizes (Mb) but still wouldn't work. Noticed it had a "Made in China" sticker on it, bought same 128Mb from Crucial, worked fine and was cheaper. HTH TR

TommyRed 23:13 27 Sep 03

Also is your existing RAM smaller in size (Mb) than the one you bought, if so try swapping them round. HTH TR

Gonzalis 18:58 28 Sep 03

Did you make sure that the new RAM modules are running at the same speed as your old ones? If so, try taking out your old RAM and use just the new one if it works then it's proberly your new RAM is of different speed PC2100-PC2700 etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…