New Quad CPU - Random Crashes

shrimperblue 22:00 25 Apr 08

Hello everyone this is my first post and I am in need of some help....

I have just put a new Intel Core 2Quad Processor Q6600 2.4Ghz into my machine. I have 2gb ram, Nvidia 8600GT 256mb card and a new 550 power supply. I am running Vista ultimate.

My machine is very slightly lagging and also I keep getting random freezes which I need to press the power switch in order to restart.

My mother board definitely supports the processor and my graphics drivers are up to date.

Please can anyone offer me some advise as I am going mad.

Thanks in advance.

FatboySlim71 22:22 25 Apr 08

I got the Intel Core 2Quad Processor Q6600 2.4Ghz, NVIDIA 8800GT and Vista Ultimate on a PC that I got recently built.

The only problem regarding freezing (in the begining) was because of an out of date graphics card driver, after updating this to the most up to date I have not had any problems at all.

wis 22:36 25 Apr 08

cooling what temp is cpu at

shrimperblue 22:54 25 Apr 08

hi,

Its at 38 degrees.

Since installing the new processor...

Frozen While deleting photos
Frozen while trying to connect to C&C3 online x2
Frozen while in IE

Thanks

shrimperblue 00:11 26 Apr 08

pc is hanging still.

Re-installed graphics drivers and still slow.

wis 00:23 26 Apr 08

sorry to quote basics like previuos temp
but it appears you have done everything
rght but still slow freeze, does device m
show anything up, some sort of conflict i hope
you see how im thinking may be basic but?

shrimperblue 00:34 26 Apr 08

yes all checked. I have no idea what is going on.....a costly upgrade and worse performance...:(

DrScott 00:45 26 Apr 08

Is your BIOS up to date? As this is an upgrade, I suspect your mobo didn't have a quad core CPU in it before hand. Whilst your mobo might support a quad CPU, your BIOS might not.

Flash it.

wis 00:47 26 Apr 08

bios cmos settings , hand book with m board any clue there

shrimperblue 00:51 26 Apr 08

thanks. Im not sure how to "flash" a Bios. Im that advanced. Any simple explanation?

My board is a Foxconn p4m900-8237a.

DrScott 01:21 26 Apr 08

I can't find that motherboard on the Foxconn website - that's where the drivers and BIOS updates can usually be downloaded from.

It looks like it's a Dixons computer? Or from PCWorld or the like?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…