New PSU for a Dell desktop

Psiman 11:50 09 Aug 03

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 desktop (out of guarantee) and the PSU has failed. Unfortunately Dell PSUs are non ATX standard with proprietary motherboard connectors. I have Googled for possible sellers, but drew a blank.

Can anyone help and recommend a web site for a replacement PSU for a Dell Dimension 8100?

Specification is P4, 1.7 GHz, 250W PSU.

Thanks for any help.

Diemmess 12:16 09 Aug 03

If there is no "off the shelf" .... then this problem really calls for ingenuity and detailed knowlege.

Even if the pin-out details of a new ATX PSU and its supply volts and amps are known, you need similar data for the sockets on the motherboard.

Then there is a possibility by re-using the old power connectors with each conductor soldered and insulated. More a job for a frenzied geek or everloving engineer.

If you really cannot get a suitable matching PSU, (higher wattage is no problem) and cannot cannibalise one from a dud outfit, then you could consider a new motherboard using your P4 and more or less everything else? (There again will a new mobo fit your case?)

Lozzy 12:18 09 Aug 03

Suggestion,, Why not buy it from Dell

Psiman 15:17 09 Aug 03

Thanks Diemmess. I had thought of canabalising the PSU from an old P2 Dell I have, but the mobo connectors are different again from Dell P4s!

Thanks Lozzy, but to the best of my knowledge Dell don't sell components. (Unlike good old MESH)

DieSse 17:12 09 Aug 03

"but to the best of my knowledge Dell don't sell components."

You have asked them then?

Kitz E Kat 17:45 09 Aug 03

click here
check this out they have a PSU for your DEll.
Im not sure if Dell do components, but the above should do the trick

Hope this helps

Kitz E

madPentium 18:35 09 Aug 03

get ready to pass out with the price

Kitz E Kat 21:24 09 Aug 03

How much?????
It just says call 800XX XXXX , i guess that means its dear, there aint no price on the net.
kitz

Psiman 16:41 12 Aug 03

Sorry for not replying to your question earlier.

Yes I have asked Dell UK if they sell components. The do not sell to the public power supplies or motherboards. The only way to get these are to return your PC to Dell Service.

Now, do you want a laugh? Dell quoted for repair of my Dell Dimension PSU and mobo, (after an over the phone diagnostic they think the PSU took the mobo out as well) including labour, collection and delivery plus VAT? £ 475.00

Now you can see the reason for my post.

It's no wonder I now build my own.

Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…