New PSU

denali 13:22 02 Nov 07

I have installed a new 500w PSU. The fan spins for a few seconds and then stops. I tested it in another PC and it works fine. I Know the connections are ok because I colour coded them so I would not make any mistakes. Any help please?

denali 13:58 02 Nov 07

Is it possible to transfer data from Sata Hdd to ATA Hdd?. Or any way to put the Sata drive in a non Sata PC

denali 13:59 02 Nov 07

Sorry! meant to start a new thread

Totally-braindead 14:18 02 Nov 07

Regarding the power supply I would look for some sort of short. Perhaps something like the motherboard touching the case that sort of thing.
Is this an old PC? If so do you still have the old power supply and does it work?

denali 14:40 02 Nov 07

Totally-braindead. It is only 2years old Dimension 9160. My brother wanted to up the PSU for a new Graphics Card. Cant find anything untoward near the M/B

Totally-braindead 14:48 02 Nov 07

Does it work ok with the old power supply, if it does then obviously its not a short.

I think I am right in saying that new power supplies when not under load shut down and if I am correct then it seems to be the most obvious fault is a poor connection and I would recheck the connections.

Totally-braindead 14:49 02 Nov 07

Wait a minute just realised something its a Dell isn't it I wonder if the power supply connectors are slightly different as Dell used to do this.

Totally-braindead 14:59 02 Nov 07

Couldn't find the spec on the 9160 but I suspect the power supply connections might be non standard and if so thats your problem.

woodchip 15:05 02 Nov 07

Try pressing Del key to see if it will go to BIOS setup. If it does let it stay there for a while to see if it shuts down. Also if ypu get to
Check PC Health

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…