New programme balloon won't go away

stevena 20:10 22 Oct 04

I've recently bought a new PC on ebay pre-loaded with Windows XP. I started loading software onto it straightaway until I had a problem installing my anti-virus software (ZoneAlarm). The problem, as it turned out, was due to the PCs date and time being way out (the year was 2085). I sorted this out and everything now seems to be working fine. However, whenever I boot-up and hit the start menu I get a 'new programmes installed' balloon and all the software installed on the wrong date setting are highlighted. Is there anything I can do to sort this out, other than uninstalling and reloading the software?

Graham ® 20:17 22 Oct 04

Can you open the programs in turn?

stevena 20:22 22 Oct 04

Yes, I've opened each of the programmes in turn but they still show as new when I restart. In the add/remove programmes menu they still show the date last used as 2085

Graham ® 20:34 22 Oct 04

It would seem you will have to re-instal the programs. Unless you can put up with it until 2085.

SANTOS7 20:40 22 Oct 04

click here this will help,good luck..........

stevena 20:41 22 Oct 04

Not sure I'll still be around! However, I've managed to disable the balloons in the start menu properties settings and now everything seems to be working OK. Does anyone know if the dodgy install dates - presumably logged somewhere in the registry - are likely to cause any conflicts? My sound and graphic card software/drivers are the main concern.

stevena 20:48 22 Oct 04

Thanks for this. I was afraid I might have to edit the registry. Oh well, here goes!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now