New Processor/Heatsink - fitting....

Phil930 15:25 28 May 03

About to purchase the above two, an AMD XP2400 and a new heatsink/fan supporting this (a very modern quiet one too!!)

my only problem is heatsink paste...does this come applied to new heatsinks or on the top of the processor? if not, how do i apply this and where do i apply it as i have never had to fit the paste before...

i took it for granted that it would be already applied....

Gongoozler 16:40 28 May 03

Hi Phil930. This article from AMD should tell you all you need to know about fitting a new heatsink to an Athlon- click here. Some heatsinks are supplied with paste applied, some have a different conductive material applied, and some have none. Which type you have will be immediately obvious. Those with paste will usually have a plastic cap protecting the paste, those with a thermally conductive plastic will probably have a tape to be peeled off. If your heatsink has a bare metal surface you should apply a very thin smear of good quality thermal compound. Remember that the compound is quite a poor conductor of heat, but it is a lot better than the air that it is displacing. For the best performance, use a silver loaded compound such as this one from Ebuyer click here

professor 20:13 28 May 03

go to PC World OEM center and pick up some coolermaster premium paste, to apply it simply spread it accross the back of your heatsink. more detailed instructions are included with the coolermaster paste.

just out of curiosity..wot ir us current CPU as not many ppl realise that in actuality for the Athlon XP take for example you had a 1800+ you see a 2400+...quite an improvement right?wrong. a 1800+ is clocked at 1.5GHz and a 2400+ is clocked at 2GHz. not a great improvement.

just thought i would enlighten you to that.

Quiller. 20:24 28 May 03

If you look to the bottom right of this page
click here
You will find installation video's for removing and installing amd cpu's. This covers paste and fan installation. If you un-dock the player and expand it, it is watchable. File sizes are around 300k.

Quiller. 20:25 28 May 03

Sorry that should be 800k to 1.5Mb file size, on low res.

Phil930 21:27 28 May 03

my current processor is an AMD 1.4, i wanted to upgrade to the XP2400 (at 2.0GHz) for the extra power as it is cheap now....

this is the highest processor my mobo will support and its a temp upgrade until a new line of technology comes out such as faster harddrives, new processors etc...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…