New processor, how much thermal paste ?

setecio 10:41 11 Sep 09

In upgrading my processor, how much thermal paste is needed as I read problems aplying to much or too little. If I spread a very thin layer over the whole surface is that enough ?

Stuartli 10:45 11 Sep 09

Yes, as thinly spread as you can over the area.

setecio 10:58 11 Sep 09

Thanks. I just read the articsilver instructions and they say an amount about the size of a grain of rice is all that is needed in the middle of it and it will get squished out as the heatsink is aplied. That seems a tiny amount ?

I am Spartacus 11:04 11 Sep 09

If you're using Arctic Silver 5 then a very thin line across the centre is recommended. If you put too much on it actually forms a thermal barrier. if you cam twist the heatsink as you fit it.

Stuartli 13:13 11 Sep 09

Yep..:-)

Diemmess 13:55 11 Sep 09

The less the better, short of leaving microscpic air gaps.

Ideally the paste just fills the smallest air gaps which if left unfilled would form a barrier to the maximum possible heat transfer during use.

Theoretically, two perfectly flat and mirror-polished surfaces would cling at a molecular level and not need paste at all!

Input Overload 20:12 11 Sep 09

From the horses mouth click here

citadel 20:25 11 Sep 09

i put a small amount of arctic silver on and spread it over with the end of my finger wrapped in clingfilm, I find it easier than a spreader.

setecio 13:11 13 Sep 09

Thanks all - and that sounds an excellent idea citadel.

sonyboy 14:08 13 Sep 09

The tiny amount that Arctic silver suggests does sime a very small amount...but that is what's needed .I know a blob the size of a rice grain really doesn't seem enough..but I assure you ..it is ..
If ever you drop a cup with a very small amount of liquid in it ..it seems to cover a large area when it spreads out over a flat area ..It's the same with the heat spreader on the processor base ..The tiny amount of paste will spread over the surface to a much greater degree than you imagine.The slight twisting motion does help too !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…