New printer / scanner advice please

Grandad99 00:15 08 Aug 14

I need to replace my old printer and scanner so am considering a 3in1

The most important requirements are for reasonably high quality scanning of 35mm colour negatives that will produce acceptable A4 prints and good quality colour printing. I'm creating a family history from 1975 - 2005 negatives.

I've only had Epson and would appreciate suggestions for this or any other make, ideally no more than $150 (that's pounds sterling but Dell keyboard doesn't provide this)

northumbria61 05:54 08 Aug 14

Take a read here for starters - All-in-One with 35mm scanning - advice

northumbria61 05:59 08 Aug 14

Or consider a reasonably priced Photo Scanner - There are other makes available.

northumbria61 06:04 08 Aug 14

Also plenty of choice here with various prices Photo,slide,negative scanners

northumbria61 06:07 08 Aug 14

Canon for you to consider and within your price bracket

Woolwell 09:57 08 Aug 14

I don't think that the Canon scans slides.

Scanners that can scan slides/negatives have a light in the lid or an adaptor. I'm having difficulty in finding a current all-in-one that has that feature.

I am not in favour of the cheap slide scanners. Some of them simply take a photo of the slide. If you go down that route then read the reviews very carefully.

I have scanned over 2000 slides and it takes time. Be prepared to have to edit many as the colours may have changed over time. Best to scan at a round 1200 dpi as you will be enlarging the original scan.

Woolwell 09:59 08 Aug 14

I think that your keyboard is set up to US rather than UK.

john bunyan 10:07 08 Aug 14

Woolwell

For slides etc I have a Canon 8000f - now there is a newer model. It is purely a scanner. When I looked at this there were no all in ones that handled slides. I would look at the

Canonscan 9000f

Woolwell 10:42 08 Aug 14

I have an elderly Epson.

northumbria61 13:15 08 Aug 14

Woolwell - you are correct. I overlooked the Canon Pixma's ability to scan slides.

John Bunyan - I have the Canon CanoScan 8600F and it is an excellent scanner for slides. I have been searching most of the morning but finding it very difficult to find an All-in-One that will do the job.

northumbria61 13:38 08 Aug 14

Grandad99 - One option would be to purchase this EPSON which would do what you require and have £60 left over to buy a printer, or towards one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos