new photo printer advice

lottied 17:14 PM 05 Jun 12

Hi,

Our Epson R340 photo printer has died, looking for a replacement but most seem to be multi-function. Only really need the printer. Wireless would be handy, but more important I need it to take Jet Tec ink. Daughters both doing photography at school/college so it needs to be as good as the one we've killed off!If anyone has any advice I would be grateful.

Thanks, Lottie

johndrew 09:57 AM 06 Jun 12

Epson still produce stand alone photo quality printers (e.g. the P50) at a reasonable price; they also produce more expensive items - have a look at these.

However I shouldn't give up on your old printer if you like it as many are repairable at home. My old 740 stopped working and I found it was the motor suffering a lack of lubrication. It took an afternoon but I stripped it, removed the motor, applied some sewing machine oil and it now is running as good as new.

Often you can find a manual (some free) online - look here, here and here.

Hope this helps.

spuds 10:34 AM 06 Jun 12

I have and use a number of different make multi-function printer's, and in the main I find that they are not very much different for photo work, to printer's having less facilities.

The cost of many 'suitable' printer's have reduced in the last few years, and I am now able to purchase 'all-in-ones' with wireless for £40/£50 (last two recent purchases HP PhotoSmart CN245b and Canon Pixma MX410). Its the ink that is the costly part, but if you do a simple on-line check, some bargains can be gained there, including using CISS or cartridge refill devices as a further saving exercise.

I generally find that its the ink type and paper used that can make a great deal of difference to quality of photo prints!.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…