New PC.Mirror from the old one

martin 10:37 01 Jan 05

I have ordered a new Mesh tower unit to replace my weak and slow old Mesh ,both using XP Home.
Can i mirror the old pc over to the new one?,to save reloading all my applications and files ,if this can be done what software and leads would i need.
Also how do i do it ?
Many thanks and a happy new year to all PC ADVISOR readers
Martin.

spuds 10:59 01 Jan 05

Not sure about this, but I think that some Harddrive manufacturers like Maxtor have a download available for transfering data etc. You could also try something like Norton Ghost. No doubt someone as a better and more simpler suggestion.

LinuxPenguin 16:35 01 Jan 05

ghost is ok but i hate it. i also hate driveimage since norton took it over... if you can find an old evrsion of driveimage however, all is well and good.

You could try spinrite click here ( i think that does this job but check before buying it as im not enitrely sure)

LinuxPenguin 16:38 01 Jan 05

then go into your registry, (start menu - run - regedit) at the very top on the left hand side is the "my computer" key. right click it and clikc export. save that file to a floppy, a pendrive or cd etc.

then copy your hard drive files over etc. when on your new pc, double click the file you saved from regedit. and once your files have been copied over (except dont copy the windows directory...) it should worjk fine.

failing that xp provides a files and settings transfer wizrad you could try, but i have never used it..

AndySD 16:45 01 Jan 05

You probably can. But I suupect you will spend more time in mirroring the disk over then trying to sort out the drivers than it would take to load the programs on the new pc.

cyberphobic 17:23 01 Jan 05

Another option is this click here click here it is a free download, you just have to register. I have now used it several times, it is simple and effective, you end up with a mirror image of the original drive on the new drive,complete with operating system.

cyberphobic 17:27 01 Jan 05

Place your old HDD into your new PC,(change the jumper setting to slave)attach IDE and power leads and then just follow the instructions - obviously check that you are copying from slave to master - you are given the choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…