New PCI Graphic Card won't work

The one and only Mr A 01:41 14 Jan 05

I tried to install an XFX FX5200 256Mb PCI graphics card in my Dell Dimension 2300 (XP) today but I can't get it to work. I disabled the on-board graphics by removing the drivers in add/remove programmes, and start the machine in SVGA mode. However, the manual told me to go to Display-Settings-Advanced-Adapter-Change, but when I get to Adapter no 'Change' option is available. Also, the manual tells me to disable the onboard graphics in the Bios but that menu has no mention of the video adapter.

Having disbled the onboard video I inserted the new card but the screen remained steadfastly blank. In desperation I installed the drivers before reinserting the card with the same result. The machine seems to boot to windows fine as when I waited and hit the off button I heard the jingle of XP shutting down.

Has anyone got an answer of have I spent my money on a late Christmas Turkey?

AndySD 04:03 14 Jan 05

In the Setup/Bios look for something like Video Controller click here highlight it and hit Enter/Return.

sidecar sid 07:24 14 Jan 05

Might sound obvious but have you left your monitor cable attached to the onboard graphics instead of plugging it in to the new card(i speak from experience)

:-)

osofedupwivit 09:04 14 Jan 05

LOL!!!
I cant believe it! I had a very similar prob recently, and actually gave up and went back to my rubbish onboard graphics......But of course!! I didnt change the monitor plug!! How funny. Thank you sooooo much, you'll never know.

OSFUWI

The one and only Mr A 02:09 15 Jan 05

I should have mentioned that I actually did make that mistake of leaving the monitor plugged into the old onboard card but then changed it over.

Tried again first thing this morning, same result. Went through the motions again, and this time it went perfectly. No obvious reason. Go figure.

Thanks for the suggestions nonetheless!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…