New PC133 Ram, PCChips Mobo, booting problems.

duplo 19:06 05 May 03

My father had a machine buiolt for him a few years ago, a very basic system.

It has a Intel P111 Chip, at least that what it said it was, although now I am told its a celeron and he had overcloked it or something.

The ram frequency was set to 66, but the mainbord is PC100.

The new ram is a 256MB stick of PC133, the old one a 128MB of 133, which I had to take out anyways.

The problems: I booted up and it only saw 128MB of ram. I went into the BIOS and set the speed to 100Mhz, and ajustred the CPU multiplier so that it remained at 500mhz.

I now boot up and nothing happpens, the monitor stays on sleep, and the Machine starts but nothing seems to happen.

I think I should just reset the bios... and hope it works? I went to the MOBO website- its jumper 5 clears the Cmos memory.... is that what i want to do, it sounds like I am clearing it completely... I just want to reset! ??

Is that right? Cheers!

duplo 19:22 05 May 03

Will taking the battery out do the trick? I had to download the manual, I am not 100% which MOBO it is and the manual is for a differnt one... i know its a PCCHIP one and the era...

If I take the battery out and then put it back will that clear it?

DieSse 19:37 05 May 03

The jumper just resets it - exactly what you want to do.

If the processor is a Celeron, it may use a 66Mhz bus speed if it's an early version, or 100MHz for later versions.

Many older boards will not take the full capacity of current RAM modules - because of the type of chips used on them, it only registers half the capacity.

duplo 19:42 05 May 03

thanks... i know celerons only run with a 66Mhz FSB... I thought it was a PIII since that is what it said!

Will reset the Bios! Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…