New PC Won't Work

rockyrobin 20:31 28 Aug 04

Have just bought a new Petium 4 Intel 2.8 PC.
Have got it home and as I start it I get the following msg:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I have gone into the BIOS setup to change the boot device priority to CD, yet the same message keeps coming up.

If its any help, even when I press any key, the light for the CD drive doesn't light up yet the one on the floppy does.

I won't be able to get into to the shop till Tue now and just can't wait that long. I want to play with my new toy.

Can anyone help?????

stalion 20:34 28 Aug 04

appreciate you want to play with your new toy as you put it but be careful what you do,you may invalidate the guarantee and as it is new you should return it

johnnyrocker 20:35 28 Aug 04

back it mate, might invalidate any guarantee fiddling.

johnny.

rockyrobin 20:36 28 Aug 04

It was bought from a computer fair. I just wondered if it was a simple thing to fix.

JonnyTub 20:36 28 Aug 04

only if you open the case do you risk invalidating the warranty. mucking about with the bios is easily resettable by restoring tofactory default

JonnyTub 20:38 28 Aug 04

What disks came with it?

rockyrobin 20:41 28 Aug 04

Only disks that came with it were a

Intel-Intel Series support CD

Power DVD CD

I have my own version of windows XP and Microsoft MS DOS set up discs.

They built it while I waited as it was a package if thats any use.

JonnyTub 20:44 28 Aug 04

they possibly have not set up the drives properly are all devices recognised in the bios?

JonnyTub 20:46 28 Aug 04

it's also judging by the error message that the hard drive is on the secondary ide channel which is a no no.

rockyrobin 20:46 28 Aug 04

Yes in the BIOS it has Floppy, HDD and CD/DVD.
I can move them and disable them.

Have tried putting in a boot disc but I can't change to any other drives apart from A: or B:.

Am just hoping they haven't set it up propely and is something simple I can fix.

JonnyTub 20:50 28 Aug 04

does the bios report which ide channel the hard drive is on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…