New PC won't start up! Please help!

s99Raj 23:34 11 Feb 04

I've just bought a new motherboard bundle from Novatech. (The bundle has code MBB-XB281G if you're interested.) It consists of an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard, AMD XP 2800 processor, Heatsink and Fan, 512 Mb DDR RAM.
With it I've installed a Connect3D Radeon 9600 256 Mb graphics card.

Since the processor and memory come pre-installed, I haven't touched those. I haven't yet attached the heatsink and fan.

I'm sure I've connected the 230W power supply correctly and all the little pins from the case to the m/b (such as Power LED , Reset, etc.).

I've also connected just a floppy and a hard drive (which actually has Windows XP on it from a previous machine, and which I want to reformat anyway).

Now, the problem I'm having is that when I switch on, the PC seems to start up OK but then switches itself off after about 5 seconds. There are no beeps to be heard. I tried putting a (Windows 98) startup floppy into the floppy drive but that doesn't help. Even if it started up properly for a few seconds I'd know everything was fine and I could go ahead and install the heatsink and CD Drive, etc.but the motherboard seems to go into some sort of sleep mode within a few seconds.

This isn't the first time I've built a PC from scratch, so I think I know what I'm doing. Does anyone have experience of this m/b or can anyone suggest what I might try? Cheers.

s99Raj 23:38 11 Feb 04

P.S. I'm off to bed now as it's getting and I'm REALLY tired.
I'll check again for any help from you guys tomorrow.

woodchip 23:58 11 Feb 04

Are you trying to fry the CPU NO FAN or HEATSINK

Djohn 00:37 12 Feb 04

You "MUST" connect the heatsink and fan before you go any further!

It is closing down instantly because of the rapid rise in temperature.

I hope you have not damaged the CPU. [Central processing unit]. Please connect these either with a heat transfer pad or with paste, [But not both] between the sink and the CPU. j.

gudgulf 00:51 12 Feb 04

Whilst this wont affect whether your pc boots or not I think that your power supply is a bit on the feeble side for a high spec pc.

300watts as a minimum.

gold 47 00:52 12 Feb 04

As has been said already NEVER START UP A COMPUTER
WITH A CPU WITH NO FAN OR HEAT SINK infact you may have damaged it already PSU seems low on power
you require 350W or above these days.

hugh-265156 01:21 12 Feb 04

i doubt there has been any damage caused due to no fan or HS being attached.latest models of amd processors should throttle back and or shut down as do intel cpu`s im told when too hot.

connect your heatsink and fan as above.

you dont want this click here

s99Raj 06:54 12 Feb 04

Thank you for all this - I know I shouldn't really switch on without a heatsink and fan. I certainly hope I haven't damaged the cpu like this! But it was on for only literally about 5 seconds before it switched itself off.

Hopefully the 230W power supply is inadequate so I'll go buy a new 350W or 400W power supply and see if it makes any difference.

One question on adding the heatsink/fan assembly : the cpu has four small rubber pads on it on which the heatsink/fan assembly seems to rest quite nicely. The heatsink and cpu then seem to have a very small gap between them. Do I need to use any of the heat conducting paste supplied with the heatsink/fan?

"Do I need to use any of the heat conducting paste supplied with the heatsink/fan?" YES.

click here

You should find all the info you need on this site

s99Raj 18:25 12 Feb 04

I took the cpu out, gently blew on it and replaced it. Then I added the heatsink and fan and it seems to be working now. Now I'll change the PSU to 400W or 500W.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…