NEW PC Won't Boot Up

RDanielDesign 11:52 28 Sep 06

So I just put my new PC together, turned it on and loaded in the XP CD. It asked me if I wanted to install XP, if yes press F7. So I did and nothing happened. I hit it a few more times and still nothing happened. The other option was to cancel press exc. so I did and then the computer rebooted and nothing showed up on the screen. I've restarted it. Completely shut it down. Pulled the power. Still I get nothing on the screen. It flashes a bit when I turn the computer on by it's like nothing is going to it. Just 5 minutes ago it was working so I’m confused as hell.. Anyone have any ideas on what’s wrong and how to fix it? Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 12:20 28 Sep 06

One of the first things to do is to take out all components and see if you get any beeps.

Try with just the motherboard (obviously), one piece of RAM, and the graphics card. When you power on, do you get any beeps?

xania 12:29 28 Sep 06

What motherboard?

RDanielDesign 12:31 28 Sep 06

yeah i get 1 beep.......but nothing shows up on the screen....

Diodorus Siculus 13:33 28 Sep 06

As xania asked, do you know the motherboard and bios manufacturer?

xania 14:12 28 Sep 06

OK - you're through the startup POST, but I'm very curious about that F7 prompt. All that should happen is that the system should offer to install the software - unless there is already a versionof the software in place in which case it should ask where you want to install the OS. PLease confirm that you do not have an existing installation on your Hard Disk, and that the BIOS is seeing your hard disk.

woodchip 15:30 28 Sep 06

Are you using USB Keyboard and Mouse? If so hit Del to go into BIOS and make sure all USB are enabled

woodchip 15:31 28 Sep 06

Also try reseating Graphics card, it may not be fully in

RDanielDesign 19:17 28 Sep 06

no nothing was installed previously as i just purchased everything....the motherboard is by ASUS. i check the graphics card, and the mouse and keyboard....still nothing

Diodorus Siculus 19:57 28 Sep 06

If it's new, send it back - you have done all that you can.

When you said that your put it together, I took that to mean that you built it. I now think that you mean that you bought it and just connected it all together - if so, send it back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced