New pc woes re: Wordpad docs

Ms_Dial 01:53 06 Jan 07

Got a new e-machines after having the old one since 2000 and am loving it, and managed to burn all my files, notes and music onto Cd's and successfully copy said info to new computer. Everything functions normally with the exception of my old word pad docs now say they're Word Office docs (nope, didn't have Office on the old pc) and will not open in word pad - says "cannot load Word for Windows 6.0" what??? I do not have Office on this computer except for an offer of a 60-day trial version, etc, but I don't have a need for it as I don't have a business but I would like to access my old documents. Is there a conversion program that'd change my files to .rtf?

Batch 07:54 06 Jan 07

You say that they will not open in Wordpad - have you tried loading Wordpad and then opening one of the document files from there, or have you just clicked on one of the files expecting (hoping) that it will open in Wordpad.

BTW, what extensions do the files have?

Gongoozler 08:38 06 Jan 07

Find one of the problem files in Windows Explorer. Right click on it and select "Open with - Choose Program". In the list of programs select "Wordpad". Make sure there is a tick in the box for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

vinnyT 11:40 06 Jan 07

Word Viewer 2003 "View, print and copy Word documents, even if you don't have Word installed. This download is a replacement for Word 97 Viewer and all previous Word Viewer versions."

click here

Use this to view your files, then press ctrl+a (at the same time) to select everthing, then ctrl+c to copy.

Open wordpad, ctrl+v to paste the doc, save as wordpad file or .txt or .rtf

Hope this helps.

Ms_Dial 15:51 06 Jan 07

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Batch & Gongoozler: I had tried that already and the ext's are .doc - thanks for your suggestions though!

vinnyT 10:09 07 Jan 07

Welcome

dippydon 21:11 15 Feb 07

same problem solved for me.thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…