New PC Vista Ultimate..5 year old Medion USB stick

six-h 23:45 28 Jul 08

Anyone know why both my USB 2.0 Mem Sticks (128 and 256MB) take four full minutes to show a browser window to access them?
I know they are minuscule to those of today, but they are handy, and cost me an arm and a leg at the time!!!
They came with drivers and PDF manual on minidisk, but with XP I never needed them, they were universal plug and play.
Vista couldn't find a driver for the 128, and took 10 minutes to find one for the 256MB, after which it accepted both, but with the long wait!
they show up in device Mgr as working properly immediately they are plugged in, but not in "Computer" so I just have to wait to access them.
Same result using either front or rear ports.

Ditch999 13:05 29 Jul 08

Its a Vista thing.

Try updating the drivers for them through Device Manager and search in the following location
C:\Windows\System32 (check subfolders too)

PO79 13:48 29 Jul 08

I had a similar problem in that my USB sticks were not recognised at all in Vista, and hung the system when I plugged them in and tried to open My Computer.

I solved the problem by converting from FAT32 (which most are) to NTFS.

If you have access to an XP machine, insert the drive and open a command prompt, at the prompt type convert x: /fs:ntfs where x= the USB drive allocated letter.

six-h 14:18 29 Jul 08

Not having a modern capacious multi-gig USB stick, I don't know if they are now supplied preformatted NTFS, if so maybe that could be the problem!
I'm visiting my computer Guru this week,(I think it's more his machine than mine!) and will get him to check that out!
The laughable thing is that once the drive appears, Vista asks if I want to use it for "Ready Boost" - 128MB! lol.

Ditch999 14:36 29 Jul 08

Have a read at this click here
A couple of solutions on it

six-h 15:18 29 Jul 08

Thanks for the link, those people seem to have problems that are a step further back than mine, their systems cannot find drivers.
Whilst mine couldn't find one for the 128MB stick, plugging in the other one (256MB) it located a "suitable" driver, and this seems to work - to an extent with both sticks.

My problem is that it really should allow me access to the contents sooner than 4 minutes!

Since my computer Guru virtually gave birth to my PC last week, we both seem to think that it's more his than mine! lol So I'll have to ask permission to tinker, or let him do it!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos