New PC - Vista always crashes!

gftreeton 12:03 10 Jan 10

I have recently built a new PC (AMD Phenom II X3 2.8,4gb Crucial DDR3,MSI 770-C45 Motherboard, Sapphire HD3650 video, Samsung SATA 1.5 tb)which has had Vista installed on it, with all the latest Drivers, which always locks-up and freezes after from 1 to upto 20 minutes use. There is very little software on the PC (Office, Irfanview, AVG); the crashes happen whether on the Internet or not. I've had the processor, motherboard, video card and memory back to the supplier who says that the are all OK; the fans are still whirring away on the PC Power Supply and I've tried two different hard drives, but it still crashes - I am completly a a loss. In fact, I'm seriously thinking of hanging up my PC making hat after this 15th machine!

Any suggestions most gratefully received.

Glyn Foster

OTT_Buzzard 12:38 10 Jan 10

There are a number of possible explanations, the most liekly of which are:

1. The Processor is overheating. Make sure that the cooler is properly clipped into position. What TIM paste did you use, and how much of it?

2. The PSU is a bit flakey. This is harder to test if you don't have a multimeter or a spare PSU.

Do you get a bluescreen when it crashes? If so, can you post back the STOP error code from the bottom of the screen?

gftreeton 21:14 10 Jan 10

Thanks OTT_Buzzard - The processor has been removed and re-seated, the old thermal paste removed and a small (1/8 dia) blob of Thermal paste from Maplin used when re-seating. No Blue Screen - it just locks, leaving whatever was on the screen still there. The processor fan still whirs.

OTT_Buzzard 21:59 10 Jan 10

Download and install Everest Ultimate Edition (use under the trial basis).

(click here)

Under the file menu, select Preferences, then logging from the list on the left hand side.

Set to log everything happening to a text / html file. Leave everest running. Use the PC until it crashes.

Review the log file for any variations in voltages just before crashing.

In the eman time, check the content of Windows Event Viewer. Start menu, tyupe Event Viewer into the search bar and press enter. There may be some clues in there.

OTT_Buzzard 22:01 10 Jan 10

Just a thought, but have you set the RAM & CPU voltages correctly in BIOS? Also the RAM timings?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 10 Jan 10

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

gftreeton 20:32 13 Jan 10

All the settings have been left to the automatic detect in the BIOS and SPD on the memory chips. I've tried running memtest in the past (before sending the memory back to the supplier for testing) guess what - the PC crashed before memtest could finish! I've installed Everest - I've attached the last few records before the PC crashed to the bottom of this - I'm not familiar with this software - does it indicate a problem with the PSU? If so, how can I test it before returning it as faulty? Sorry Guys, I know this is a big if, but I need something to tell the supplier to persuade them to take it back for checking.

System Information None 2010-01-12 21:21:03 SYSTEM Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager
System Information None 2010-01-12 21:21:08 SYSTEM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power
System Information None 2010-01-12 21:21:08 SYSTEM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power
System Information None 2010-01-12 21:21:11 SYSTEM Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager
System Warning None 2010-01-12 21:21:12 RTL8169 1: Not implemented
System Error None 2010-01-12 21:21:20 EventLog 6008: The previous system shutdown at 21:10:49 on 12/01/2010 was unexpected.
System Information None 2010-01-12 21:21:20 EventLog 6009: Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 6.00. 6001 Service Pack 1 Multiprocessor Free.
System Information None 2010-01-12 21:21:20 EventLog 6005: The Event log service was started.
System Information None 2010-01-12 21:21:20 EventLog 6013: The system uptime is 17 seconds.
System Information None 2010-01-12 21:21:20 SYSTEM Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager

OTT_B 20:38 13 Jan 10

The idea behind the Everest log is to establish that your voltages and temperatures are ok. It may also indicate a process starting that disrupts your PC.

Everest normally produces two log files. One is a summary of 'highs and lows', the other is a continuous log, polled at approx 1 second intervals. It's details from the latter which are relevant.

If you want to send me the log(s) you are welcome to do so - send a mail using the little yellow envelope next to my name. I'll reply from my email address.

OTT_B 20:39 13 Jan 10

(incidentally, the details you have in your post look like they are from Windows Event Viewer. What details are there from immediately prior to 21:10:49?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…