New PC - Split HD

Legslip 09:48 AM 11 Jan 12

My pal has just purchased a new Acer Desktop with a 1tb HD. I have reloaded all of his progs & files but have just noticed via My Computer that his HD is partitioned into two sectors of about 450gb, one marked Acer C and the other Data D. I presume that the objective is for him to save his personal files to D. If so, why is the PC not already set up for him to do so i.e. why are his Libraries not set up on D? Leaving it as it is would appear to leave D untouched and therefore a waste of space? If what I am saying is near correct, how do we set his PC up to put his data and thereafter have the default save location on the D Sector?

robin_x 10:22 AM 11 Jan 12

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder

Also applies to the other personal folders.

Some Apps require you to go into their Tools/Options default folder/file location setup etc.

KRONOS the First 10:27 AM 11 Jan 12

I have always thought it a little pointless partitioning a single HDD if it fails the whole drive fails. Far better to have a smaller boot drive for OS and programs with a bigger secondary for everything else.

It is actually quite simple.

I assume you are referring to special folders such as Documents, Pictures, Video, etc...

Right-click the special folder, chose properties, select the location tab, there you'll see the button to change the location.

But now the trick to avoid you getting double folder entries.

When you select a location let say d: and you click apply, you will be asked if you want to move the files that are present in the default folder.

Always chose yes, even if you think there's nothing in them.

That's it basically.

Braebo Computers 11:47 AM 11 Jan 12

Hi Chronus,

We find that the OS is more likely to fail as opposed to the physical hard drive which is were having a partition with only files and no OS can come in handy as you can just reinstall Windows over partition a and not lose any of your important documents/files.

Ofcourse, your suggestion of two drives is even better if a persons budget allows :)

Thanks, Braebo.

Legslip 11:58 AM 11 Jan 12

Thanks as always RobinofOxley but why do they do it? A novice PC purchaser would not understand having a split HD unless the machine was programmed to save to the other sector. There are no user guides to explain what to do. If manufacturers are not going to set the machine up to save to the D sector, why not leave the HD as one complete sector or at least setup as Chronus suggests?

northumbria61 12:37 PM 11 Jan 12

I agree Legslip - there are a lot of people who are novices when it comes to computers that actually think they have 2 hard drives installed - you will have seen posts on here relating to just that.

robin_x 12:45 PM 11 Jan 12

The idea is you can repair Windows or re-install more easily if you get problems.

In practice it never is 'easy'.

Yes, manufacturers could explain better. But users should have some responsibility to have or gain some knowledge.

You wouldn't expect a Car Handbook to tell you how to fill up with Petrol. (of course there should be a note saying what type of fuel to sue).

I consider external backup drives to be essential these days as mentioned.

If a computer user does not have one they are inviting disaster within say 5 years. (a second computer can be used as a backup drive, space permitting)

On-line backups/multiple DVDs can be used for most important documents.

But really a USB 2nd drive is the most convenient.

Legslip 13:04 PM 11 Jan 12

Thanks RobinofLoxley but if the idea is to have a sector for Windows, why not make it about 30-40gb and then allocate the rest of the disk to Programme/User files? Like you, I think that is probably a good idea but PC sellers don't seem to set 'em up that way and I still cannot understand the logic of splitting a drive and then making the user, rather than the supplier, setup the default 'save' location for their personal data.

robin_x 13:19 PM 11 Jan 12

R&D Cost is the major factor I would think. Someone has to decide the system configuration. Someone has to write the user manuals.

Meanwhile, the market is moving. You have to get product out of the door.

And you can't make a system suitable for everyone.

You suggest 30-40GB. I would suggest 60-90GB. Someone else would want another size.

Taff™ 15:51 PM 11 Jan 12

As I am just struggling to resize Partitions an old Packard Bell XP machine which was split approx. 30Gb and 120Gb I noticed that this machine was setup by the manufacturer to provide the Documents and Settings on the Data drive. Unfortunately of course, XP is now so bloated that 30Gb is insufficient.

I would have to agree with robinofloxley - for Win7 nearer 90Gb would be wise! If the data drive is completely empty on tht new Acer (And doesn't have any of the files required to restore to factory settings) I would resize the C drive down to 100Gb and merge the spare space with the D drive. Then move all he data as detailed in his first post.

Braebo Computers 17:10 PM 11 Jan 12

Hi, I was going to reply earlier saying I'll post a video to try and help people in future, however forgot to press send lol.

Here is the video which explains how to change the defaults in library, which I hope will assist your friend.

If you want any other videos please let me know.

Change Windows 7 libraries default save

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…