New pc - slow internet connection

adambucky 21:01 PM 16 Apr 12

I am experiencing a slow internet connection using my new desktop

Internet speeds using BBC connection speed test being as follows:

Laptop (built in wi-if)- 8334 kbps - when both desktop and laptop on and using internet Laptop (built in wi-fi)- 8374 kbps - when desktop off and only laptop connected to internet

Desktop - -448 kbps - when laptop on and using internet Desktop - 438 kbps - when laptop off and only desktop using internet

As an example it took me two hours on my desktop to download 221MB and with other downloads it was still as slow

I am using a TEXET wireless 802.11b/g/n USB adapter with advertised connection speed of 150 mbps and I use a BT wireless hub

I don't think it could be the hub as the desktop runs slow whether in competition with my laptop for internet connection or not
Also if it was the hub why would it always give such a fastest rate to the laptop when both are on.?

According to the Realtek 11n USB software which came with TEXET wireless adapter it shows signal strength 67% and link quality 99% - I would expect a faster connection if these are correct.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

desktop specs: i7 2600 Intel core , ram 8GB, 1TB Hardrive

birdface 23:01 PM 16 Apr 12

Have you had a look in device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks.Or checked Taskmanager to see if anything using up most of the CPU. If you are getting 8mb download speed on the laptop you should be getting about the same on the Desktop.

lotvic 00:46 AM 17 Apr 12

Has duplicate thread running in Networking Forum

adambucky 19:35 PM 20 Apr 12

Hi Thanks for everyones help Turned out to be a faulty wireless adapter

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification: OP2 confirmed in VR product launch - full OnePlus…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things