New PC shut down

DJfree33 19:43 24 Feb 08

Hello,
I have built my first PC in the last month after alot of help from this forum to choose my hardware.
The PC I built:
Antec P182 Gunmetal Grey Super Mid Tower Case
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 SLACR 95W Edition"
Asus P5K-E WiFi Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix 2GB 1066MHz(BL2KIT12864AA1065)
Serial ATA 200gb Hardrive
Hiper 580W Type-M Black PSU
SONY DVD-ROM DDU1613
NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A

The Problem i am having is with the computer shutting down and restarting it's self up straight away when i am gaming, seems not to do it when i am browsing the web or word processing.
The computer seeems to be running cool enough and once restarted i can start gaming again. I am running vista as my os.
Any help would be great as it's rarther fustrating. Thank you

polish 21:05 24 Feb 08

what is your graphics card is it seated correctly and have you connected the extra power lead to the card

skidzy 21:54 24 Feb 08

As this seems to be happening once the machine is being stressed,i would first look at the cooling of the machine.

Do you have a case fan fitted ?
Possible buggy graphics driver !
Are you using just a heatsink and fan ?
Make and model Graphics card ?

The Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 does run reasonable cool compared to P4's etc....have you applied thermal paste ?

Sheik Yerbouti 22:00 24 Feb 08

System Properties - Advanced - Startup and Recovery - Settings..... Untick automatically restart, and wait for blue screen, should give you a better idea as to the problem.

DJfree33 23:42 24 Feb 08

Thanks for your replys,

i have a BFG 8800gts 512mb
There are 3 case fans,
I am just using the supplied heat sink and fan

will try your idea too Sheik Yerbouti

DJfree33 21:02 25 Feb 08

according to my bios monitor it's saying my motherboard temp is 31'c and my cpu is running at around 40'c when at normal use.

I think the thermal paste was already applied to the heat sink as it was a retail version.

skidzy 21:27 25 Feb 08

Your temps are fine.

Have you looked for an updated graphics driver ?

What games does this apply to ? is it all games or just high end games.

DJfree33 22:09 25 Feb 08

I have not manualy upgraded the graphics card drivers, still learning my way around vista,
The only game i have been playing so far is call of duty 4 online.

skidzy 22:33 25 Feb 08

Your specs are fine,i would look for a new driver.

However after looking around,it looks like your card is power hungry,now though its a decent psu you have fitted...im wondering if its faulty or just not big enough.

DJfree33 22:57 25 Feb 08

The psu should be ok, it worked fine in my old pc, unsure if im low on power, any idea of a way to check,
I am just reinsalling the nivada drivers now and will see what happens.
some one mentioned it might be the safety temp shut down setting set to low, no idea where to look for them.

mrwoowoo 00:52 26 Feb 08

this card requires 400w minimum,so unless there is a fault with your psu it should be fine.
A 550w psu will run two cards in sli mode.
Use the latest driver from the nvidia website.
Also look in control panel>problem reports and solutions,it should show what caused the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac