New PC - rescuing data from old hard-drive.

Cluelessone 20:01 11 Feb 14

Finally gave up trying to rescue the old PC which won't boot for love nor money.

New PC arrives soon. Can I rescue my data by putting the old SATA drive into the new PC and copying across? Any complications?

I assume most files and photos should be straight forward to transfer, but what about all the data stored in Outlook?

T0SH 20:23 11 Feb 14

You may get an access denied or two, but keep at it until you recover your data

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 11 Feb 14

If you do get access denied follow he instructions here

larchwoodmark 21:00 11 Feb 14

i used a hard drive docking station, plugged in after boot up.

no issues as your new pc will have booted from its internal drive, then should just read your old drive.

mark

Cluelessone 21:12 11 Feb 14

Thanks Mark. considered this, but I imagine data transfer will be a lot slower via USB?

Cluelessone 23:51 14 Feb 14

OK, Shiney new toy arrived today, running WIN 8.1.

Old HD connected and its a no-show! I can hear it spinning but nothing at all appears in "disk drives" Tried a similar one instead, in case the first was literally a non-starter......same result.

Any ideas please, not including "Buy a USB caddy?"

wee eddie 00:04 15 Feb 14

I am assuming that you have invalidated the warranty of your new PC.

Did you remember the change the Hard Drive's "pin" designation to "Slave"

peter2301 09:31 15 Feb 14

His drive is SATA, they dont have PIN settings for slave, master etc

Cluelessone 11:08 15 Feb 14

"I am assuming that you have invalidated the warranty of your new PC."

Why assume that? Do you invalidate the warranty of your car by adding a child seat or a roof rack?? In any case I discussed it with the manufacturer and they described exactly how to do it, so I assume not.

rdave13 11:42 15 Feb 14

do you mean by "disk drives" that it's not showing under "this pc"? Try right clicking the start icon, bottom left and selecting Disk Management, if it's showing there then assign it a letter.

rdave13 11:53 15 Feb 14

As for caddies and speed, if you have usb 3 on your new machine I'd have a look at something like this. Transfer speed should be ok and you can keep your backups away from the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…