New PC - performing clean installation of vista

craig3110 19:45 10 Nov 08

Ok, so this will probably seem like a piece of cake to you guys but i can't figure out where I'm going wrong. I got a new PC yesterday without an operating system installed. I have vista premium and i'm trying to perform a clean installation. However, when i hook everything up I just get the following message: no signal, check video cable. The monitor works fine on another PC so it's not that. The guy at novatech where i bought the PC from said all I'd have to do is put in the disc and it'd be easy. My PC came with a CD for the motherboard and one for the graphics card but I'm not sure when to install them. Am I supposed to put them in before trying to install vista.
Someone please take pity on a poor little technophobe and help me out.

peter99co 22:11 10 Nov 08

I would think you should leave Vista until you have setup the machine. The two cd's are obviously for doing that. Did the guy say which one first?

ventanas 09:19 11 Nov 08

You can't install drivers until you've got a system to install to. There is no signal to your monitor and could be something a simple as being set to the wrong input. Sometimes there are a number of possible conenctions and the monitor has to be told which is being used, usually by pressing a button on the front and selecting 1,2,3 etc..
Or there could be a problem with your card.
Once you've sorted this a clean install of Vista is easy, and much quicker than XP.
click here

I always ignore the advice here and enter the key. I don't see a problem with this. One other point, while the option to format before an install was obvious in XP, it's a little hidden in Vista.Have alook at Screen7 and note the link to Drive Options (advanced) The format setting are in there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…