New PC. Now Vista

muddypaws 09:25 07 Aug 09

I took delivery yesterday of this: click here

I have been on Win XP Home SP2 for ages and thought I would try Vista.
I have found so many programme incompatibilies, viz:
My D link external modem is only XP and no driver updates.
My HP psc 950 doesn't work in Vista and HP tell me there are no drivers for Vista.
There are other programmes also.
Have phoned OCUK who say I could return it for change of OS, but P&P would be about £30. ( but presumably under DSR I could return for a refund).
They suggest I could buy a Win XP OS from them and install it myself.
Question:
Is it easy to un-install/ overwrite an OS?
Plus any other advice.
Thanks.

HondaMan 09:38 07 Aug 09

You could try going back to the suppliers, stating the facts and hoping they can assist; otherwise, you have 7 days from the date of delivery to return it under the distance selling regs. If they know you may return it, and then re-order another one with XP they may be prepared to assist!

muddypaws 10:09 07 Aug 09

Thanks.
I believe it is 7 days from the day after delivery.
Will try them again.
Any advice re O/S install?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:19 07 Aug 09

modem
click here
click here

HP950
According to HP, the driver for the PSC 950 is included in Vista. Are you connecting the printer to a USB or LPT port? If LPT port see if adjusting
the BIOS port configuration gets this device printing.
However it will not work if you have VISTA64 Ultimate

Have you tried comptability mode for your other programs that won't work?

muddypaws 10:57 07 Aug 09

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Thanks.
I have already spoken with D Link, they confirmed as does your link ( where I went yesterday) that no Vista drivers are available for the DSL200.
'Have you tried compatability mode for your other programs that won't work?'
No I haven't Fruit Bat /\0/\.
To be quite honest, being long time silver haired!! I don't really want all that bother and then possibly find problem(s) not solved.
According to another forum regarding Vista the poster was informed by HP there were no drivers available. Mine is 7 years old.
I must admit my mistake ( to me anyway.) and put it down to experience!
I think the simplest!! solution would be for me to get an XP disc from OC for £60 or wherever.
If I was more savvy I might well persevere.
I realise that a 32 bit means I will waste half?? the 4 gigs of memory, but it should still be faster than this P2.4 and one gig.
Sounds ungrateful to you for your help---not intended.
Is it fairly straight forward to install an XP O/S
to replace Vista HP 64.?
Hopefully I could manage!

muddypaws 11:38 07 Aug 09

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Re mine above:
"According to another forum regarding Vista the poster was informed by HP there were no drivers available."
Not strictly true as you rightly said, but it would only operate in basic mode ( no buttons working)--so a bit more fiddling!
O/S change to XP--- easy?
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…