New PC is this false economy?

golfpro 10:35 15 May 06

I don't do games and use my computer for all the other stuff Word processing, surfing, Music and mild photo processing. I do like to listen to the radio (streaming) while performing other tasks though.
My existing PC is now very old, and I am in need of another. I have a choice of two both the same make Proworx (German) One a Pentium 4 HT 571 processor 3.8 GHz with 1024 MB Ram and a 200GB hard drive.

The other I/P 4 HT 3.6 GHz but with 2048 GB Ram and 400 GB H/D.

The second one is 341 Pounds sterling more expensive for the extra Ram and 200 GB more H/D. I certainly don't need the extra 200GB but do I need the extra RAM, and is it worth the extra money.

Woolwell 10:44 15 May 06

From your stated uses I am not convinced that you need the extra RAM and buying the extra RAM and fitting it later would be a lot cheaper than the over £300 price difference. I also doubt that you need more than 200 Gb HD.

You don't state which monitor and that could be important.

Gongoozler 10:46 15 May 06

I doubt that you'll see much improvement for memory above 1G with Windows XP, although it might be different with Vista when it comes along. 1G of good quality memory costs about £73 click here, and a 400G hard drive is about £100 compared with about £50 for 200G click here, so I would expect to see a lot more for the extra £341.

golfpro 15:37 15 May 06

Thank you, My Monitor is an LG Flatron L2010B a 20" LCD flat screen, which I bought new last year and am more than happy with.
I think you have persuaded me to go with the cheaper option.

golfpro 15:37 15 May 06

Thank you, My Monitor is an LG Flatron L2010B a 20" LCD flat screen, which I bought new last year and am more than happy with.
I think you have persuaded me to go with the cheaper option.

Gongoozler 16:35 15 May 06

The more expensive model has under £140 spent on additional memory and a larger hard drive, so I wonder what the other £200 is for. I suspect that it has a more powerful graphics card, but unless you use it for gaming you are unlikely to see the benefit.

golfpro 17:40 15 May 06

That is the only other difference. The cheaper one has a nVidia GeForce 7300 GS Max 256 MB.
And the other an ATI Mobility Radeon X800 PRO Max 256GB.

SG Atlantis® 17:52 15 May 06

go with the cheaper one!

Stuartli 17:57 15 May 06

Second SG Atlantis® and would also point out that 250GB drives are now around the same price that I paid for a 60GB drive less than three years ago...:-(

What's more the prices still keep coming down and capacity goes up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…