New PC continuously crashing/freezing

Mullins 10:21 19 Oct 04

I built my computer about 4 weeks ago, I used the following components:

CPU: AMD64 FX53 (Using stock heatsink and fan)
M/B: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
RAM: 2x512MB Crucial Ballistix DDR 500 (In dual Channel - running at stock timings and voltage)
PSU: Antec TruePower 550W
HD'S: 2x36gb Western Digital 10000rpm SATA Raptors (running in raid 0)
GFX: 256MB Glacier Galaxy 6800GT

It ran fine for the first 2-3 weeks, now it is unuseable.

After a cold boot it will last anywhere between 30 mins and 2 hours before it freezes completly (I dont even get a blue screen) the only way to get out of it is to press the reset button.

After reseting I get a further 10-15 minutes use before it happens again. Then I have to reset again. And it freezes again and so on.

It happens under XP Home SP1a and SP2 so therefore i am led to believe it is not a os problem.

I have tried two different revisions of the nvidia nforice drivers the ones that came with the m/b cd, and the 5.10 ones from nvidias site.
I have tried the 61.77 gfx card drivers and the 66.81. I get the same freezing regardless of the drivers.

I have run memtest86 and no errors are reported on the memory.

I have tried the 1.3 bios for my m/b and I have tried the failsafe defaults and optimized defaults and the freezing persists.

Can anyone help me find out what the problem is, and maybe which piece of hardware I need to get replaced? (I'm assuming it is the hardware from the testing I have described above)

JonnyTub 10:24 19 Oct 04

Amything listed as conflicting or not installed properly in device manager?

Mullins 10:28 19 Oct 04

No

JonnyTub 10:30 19 Oct 04

does the pc run fine in safe mode? i.e. length of time?

Mullins 10:31 19 Oct 04

I have not tried safe mode. Will try and report back.

PsiFox 10:37 19 Oct 04

My initial thoughts are an overheat problem.

Check CPU heatsink and if it has one of those sticky patches on the bottom remove, clean with nail varnish remover and apply a good thermal paste.

I would then suggest a min build of the system 1 HDD 1 stick of RAM, GFX card and see if it works, if not replace RAM with other stick and try again and so on to eliminate individual components. Try a different GFX card also.
It's a bit long winded but as you say it is likely to be a piece of hardware somewhere.

Should be a sweet system when you get it running.

PsiFox

Mullins 22:26 20 Oct 04

Safe mode made no difference.

The stock amd64 heatsinks come with decent thermal paste on bottom, but i cleaned it all off and used some as5 it hasnt solved it, i still get the crashes.

DoctorButcher 23:08 20 Oct 04

I assume your graphics card has a dedicated power input? If so, how do you connect the card to the power supply?

If you haven't already, try running a power cable direct to the card, rather than using splitters.

Despite you having a 550w PSU, there is the possibility that the GFX card isn't getting enough juice...

Also check this thread from the MSI forums click here

Taw® 23:14 20 Oct 04

click here may be of help to do with AMD and nvidia

Mullins 23:24 20 Oct 04

-quote- Despite you having a 550w PSU, there is the possibility that the GFX card isn't getting enough juice... -quote-

I have 32 amps on the 12volt rail.
I have my gfx card on a completely separate line to anything else. My 2 hds share a power line as the two sata power connectors are on it. my dvd drive has its own power line. Then the two case fans are on their own power line too. I think i have a couple of lines spare aswell...

-quote- click here may be of help to do with AMD and nvidia -quote-

i dont see how it can be a gfx card problem as it happens in windows when just browsing web.

Djohn 23:46 20 Oct 04

Have you tried removing 1 stick of ram and running for a while, then same with the other stick? Just might be faulty memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…