New PC cant find my router

volvofm 19:19 08 Jan 07

Hi
I have an Acer laptop which I have been using successfully with a Linksys Wireless-G gateway router. I have just purchased a Phillips MT 1700 wireless enabled desktop PC but after setting it up it refuses to find the signal from my router. Iam not particularly "clued-up" on computers but not totally hopeless either. This makes me think that Iam probably missing something really obvious Doh!! Any advice would be gratefully recieved, Many Thanks.

dms05 12:07 09 Jan 07

How close is the Phillips to the Router? Is the WiFi card in the PC actually 'enabled'? Check by looking in Network Connections. Have you chosen 'infra-structure' rather than 'ad-hoc' for the type of network? What WiFi speed is the Router and the Phillips? Have you enabled encryption on the Router and the Phillips? Can the Acer connect when in the same location as the Phillips?

volvofm 17:43 11 Jan 07

The laptop works fine when next to the desktop. I think the wifi is enabled but cant find it in network connections. It is set for infrastructure and the encryption is turned off on laptop, desktop and router. The laptop detects up to 4 other networks in my area but the desktop cant find any as if there is no antenna or something?

STREETWORK 20:04 11 Jan 07

On the desk top click Start - Run and type in services.msc

At the bottom of the window look for Windows Zero Configuration. Right clcik it and select either start or restart.

Once done try and connect again to the router.

Right click the network connection in the task bar and see if you can see the router now...

If you can select it and connect to it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…