New PC Build with SATA Drives

bgrave 19:14 22 May 06

Hello, I have just finished building a PC I have built two previous and they worked from the start. This one is proving to be a bit of a trial.

The mainboard is a MSI 945 Platinum, I have two Western Digital Caviar SE SATA 200 Gb drives, and my aim is to use a Raid 1 setup.

When the new PC was all connected it was turned on for the first time, I did not have a keyboard handy at the time, but the BIOS screen seemed ok.
My drives are listed at the bottom of a list i.e. IDE Primary master, slave None & third master and third slave none.

My drives are listed under fourth master but they are still referred to as IDE. I had the usual Keyboard Error. I thought that I was there.

I found my keyboard and plugged it in, and turned on, now after the logo screen I get a black screen with Scan Devices at the top, the CD Rom is detected as is the master & slave disk (136 Gb I notice) and finally at the bottom of the screen I get Verifying DMI Pool Data….. followed by Disk Boot Error Insert System Disk etc.
In the BIOS Standard CMOS features my SATA drives are listed as IDE Fourth Master & Fourth Slave.

Should I have any drivers (The HD Drives are OEM) how can I get the system to recognize them as SATA and not IDE and should I put master & Slave jumpers on, I really do not know what is going on. Please Help.

howard63 19:40 22 May 06

your mobo should have come with a floppy disk with the sata drivers on it. The last few I have built have all had this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 22 May 06

Disk Boot Error Insert System Disk etc. because you do not have an operating system installed yet

Installing XP on SATA drive
Once you have the drive(s) connected you are ready to start installing XP.
Master and Slave
Remember since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.
and may shown in BIOS as IDE channels 2 3 4 5

SATA controller driver
Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders. click here

BIOS settings
When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver
Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.
With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited
Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

bgrave 13:36 23 May 06

It was all going so well, the boot sequence was set to CD Rom, XP setup started, F6 was pressed when asked, Raid Driver disk inserted when asked still going well then disaster struck with this :-

A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time that you have seen this re-start your computer (It happened twice running by the way).
If this screen appears again follow these steps.
Check for viruses (New, hopefully unused Western Dig.HD’s), remove any newly installed HD’s or HD controllers; check your HD to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check HD for corruption, and then re-start.

Technical info :- xxx STOP: 0X0000007B, (0XF7CAE524,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)

I do not know how to run CHDISK /F on a PC with no XP.
In the BIOS Standard CMOS, both drives are listed as IDE third master & IDE third slave both drives can be detected.

The Mainboard by the way is an MSI 945 P.

exodus 21:16 23 May 06

Have you reset the boot sequence to your hdd as the boot device yet?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:54 23 May 06

click here

May be you have your SATA drives plugged into the wrong slot? SATA1 Port is for the primary device

bgrave 18:51 24 May 06

The boot sequence is set to CD Rom as I have not yet managed to install XP.
In the BIOS, as instructed the SATA mode has been set to RAID.

When I enter the RAID BIOS for the first time both HD’s are there with formatted size 186.3 and described as non RAID, after I have set up RAID 1 (Mirror) the HD’s are described as Members.

Exit to XP Setup, F6 is pressed when asked, the Driver disk is inserted when asked and the right drivers loaded.
Return to Windows a few more files are loaded. Then Starting Windows appears and the error in my last post is generated.

I have tried different SATA leads and I managed to get my copy of Windows XP changed and none of this has made any difference I am now plainly stuffed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 24 May 06

Exit to XP Setup, F6 is pressed when asked, the Driver disk is inserted when asked and the right drivers loaded.

you probably do not need to load drivers at this point if you can already see the drives.

try installing windows without loading the rain drivers.

bgrave 19:18 24 May 06

The same result at the same place. Although I can see the drives I do wonder if one of them is not quite as it should be.

bgrave 11:29 25 May 06

As I have mentioned both HD’s are visible & detectable in the BIOS and also the RAID BIOS but there is one curious inconsistency in all this. At the screen where you can press Delete to go into the BIOS or Ctrl + I for the RAID BIOS, just after the CD Rom has been detected you can press Ctrl +J if I remember rightly, to go to a user window ?. In this window you can only exit but on the right in red letters we have: - There are not enough disks for a raid array.

It is my intention to convert both disks back to non RAID and try to install windows on each one, one at a time to see if one or both of the disks are faulty. Now in the BIOS under SATA mode I have selected RAID, the other options are IDE or AHCI which one should I select for a normal SATA non RAID setup.

One more thing, as I mentioned I managed to have my XP Home full version changed and what they did was to take the CD from another box and insert it in the folder of my current one and take my original CD and place it in their box. I never thought of it until I was at home but is there going to be an issue with the product key numbers are they different for each package.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 25 May 06

Advanced Host Controller Interface Specification
for Serial ATA
The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification describes the register-level interface for a Host Controller for Serial ATA 1.0a and Serial ATA II.

XP Home full version changed
A disk is a disk same software on both its the product key that matteres for liecensing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…