New PC build advise

MidnightR 15:20 31 Jul 09

Hey guys, I'd like some advise on the build I'm putting together. The monitor is iffy and I've just got to decide between the HP listed below and the Dell 22" 2209WA (which is significantly cheaper).

The main usage will be photo editing (photoshop/bridge among many other programs), gaming, and watching movies. I do ALOT of photo editing, which is why I needed an IPS monitor, and didn't go for a larger size (24" IPS are way too expensive).

I don't indend to upgrade for a good few years so futureproofing isn't of high priority. I already have a CD drive/speakers/mouse etc

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

MidnightR 15:21 31 Jul 09

Don't seem to be able to edit, but click the image to see build

OTT_Buzzard 16:52 31 Jul 09

Looks like a good build. Both the HP and the Dell monitors you have mentioned come highly recommended.

There'a noticeable lack of operating system in the PC spec. If you don't already have one then go with a 64bit operating system with 8gb RAM. That will get you a bigger performance advantage than anything else, providing that your software is 64 bit compatible.

sunnystaines 17:43 31 Jul 09

just spent ages looking at monitors, dell were good picture better than hp in my opinion, ended up getting samsung.

MidnightR 18:18 31 Jul 09

In terms of an OS I'm going to pre order windows 7 and use windows 7 RC (+XP) until then.

I've been reading lots about 720p vs 1080p and pretty much come to the conclusion its not worth paying double the price for an extra 2 inchs. Thus I will be going with the 22" 2209WA which as sunny has said does have better picture quality anyway. Reading more about that monitor and it seems to be pretty insane, definitely a fantastic deal for the price.

what Samsung did you get in the end?

sunnystaines 11:47 01 Aug 09

I got the samsung T240 best picture plus it came with headphone jacks too some monitors have stopped adding these for why I do not know.

the price from various suppliers is very wide so shop around and haggle.

what put me off dell was the sales line they they just tell you what you want to hear without checking on the specs lost all confidence in them.

also check on pixel problems where you stand.

OTT_Buzzard 12:04 01 Aug 09

You might be interested in this article, explaining what you can expect to gain from 720p vs 1080p

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now