New pc build

tes 15:00 20 Jan 06

I have just built a new pc using a new sata drive on sata1 connection & my old drive that was split into 2 on the sata2 connection.The comp now as labeled the old split drive as local disks c & d & the new drive as local disk G.Why is this & is there any way I can change it or is it best left alone?

BurrWalnut 15:18 20 Jan 06

Do you have 2 optical drives?

If so, you must have installed Windows without the second HDD being present.

Best to leave the lettering as the registry will point to E or F when running for example, SFC.

tes 15:23 20 Jan 06

BurrWalnut
I installed windows with both hard drives & 2 optical drives present

BurrWalnut 15:28 20 Jan 06

Yes, I'm getting confused. I still think you should leave the lettering as it is.

Diemmess 15:33 20 Jan 06

click here
the problem seems similar, and way down 'merlin' is is very firm in his answer.

BurrWalnut has a good point too.

...(Once when using a small SCSI HD partitioned into 2 drives and adding a second IDE HD also partitioned-(Don't ask why!)
The SCSI HD labelled its drives C: and E: while the IDE kept D: and F: I lived with it for a while until giving up the SCSI disk at last)....

VoG II 15:35 20 Jan 06

click here

You can always 'tell' SFC where to look click here

BurrWalnut 15:39 20 Jan 06

I agree, SFC was an example. However there are other packages that aren't so flexible.

I still think keeping the original letters is tidier.

tes 13:52 21 Jan 06

Thanks all. Have decided to live with it as drive G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…