New PC Build

*Silver*Hawk* 15:35 23 Dec 04

Hello all. I am on a new build project, and from watford electronics, there is an athlon xp 3000 motherboard kit, which seems pretty cool. Do you know if a power supply of 350W will be enough for it, I have also included a radeon 256 9600 gfx card a 160gb hdd and a dvdrw drive. Thanks in advance. Also does anyone know where I can get a list of all multiplier settings for the amd processors? Or just the athlon xp 3000 then.

Blitzer 15:43 23 Dec 04

There's a rather good article in the PC Advisor magazine (Feb Issue) that may well be worth reading. I recall there was a section in it regarding power consumption concerning different components, I'm sure this would be of help to you. :)

Dorsai 15:43 23 Dec 04

click here and pick your hardware. You should then get a recomendation for the size of PSU required.

Over to others for the multiplier settings.

*Silver*Hawk* 15:48 23 Dec 04

oh right. cool. thanks.

Dorsai 15:49 23 Dec 04

I just filled it in for my system, and get a recomendation of 342w. Glad I have a 450w PSU, as the old 350w one would have been running full streach.

*Silver*Hawk* 15:51 23 Dec 04

thats a great link Dorsai, minimum for the new system is 239watts. And if only I could get the feb issue of pc advisor. I don't buy it all the time :P

*Silver*Hawk* 15:52 23 Dec 04

Dorsai what are your system specs?

Blitzer 16:01 23 Dec 04

Very useful page - thanks for posting that here.

Just thought I'd use it to check out my other system that I built a while back. Have worked out that 30% of the 430watt supply I have is "spare". Seems I made a wise choice with that then.

If it's of any used to you (info wise I mean) I have...

AMD Athlon Barton 2500.
ATI X800 Pro.
2 x sticks of DDR SDRAM.
2 x hard drives.
DVD-ROM drive.
CD-RW drive.
2 x Usb devices.
3 x Case fans
1 x case fan with light.

= 331 watts according to the site.

*Silver*Hawk* 16:03 23 Dec 04

Oh. I was just wondering how you two got such a high wattage needed. I thought the system I was building needed a lot of power, but it appears it was the drives which needs it most, and my one only has one dvdrw drive and one hdd. :) Now I need those multiplier settings.

Blitzer 16:13 23 Dec 04

Personally I'd also think further down the line and assume that at some point you will want to upgrade. Would be well worth (IMO) in purchasing a good quality PSU that is comfortably over what you currently requirements. It is my view that a PSU is not something you want to keep replacing or rather upgrading because you want/need to upgrade other areas of the computer later. Same also goes for investing in a good quality case, long term is makes sense. HTH.

Blitzer 16:15 23 Dec 04

Have you tried AMD's website for multiplyer settings for the processor? I know it did not cuase me too much hassle when I built the machine, may well be a case of it being set automatically actually. Can't remember now. =-s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…