New PC with booklet and nothing else?

Diemmess 09:23 01 Sep 05

A friend who asks advice but seldom takes it,.... has bought a Packard Bell imedia 1307 from PC World(of course).

Pre-loaded with XP home, and MS Works it has a rather vague manual and no CDs whatsoever. It seems to have integrated video, sound and most other things.

Friend lives miles away and though I have not seen it, the time will come when I shall be asked "What do I do now?"

A licence with XP is to allow use of the software, but I am less certain about retail of a pre-loaded box and what sort of CD software should be supplied with it

Two questions-

1. He says in telephone conversation "there is a section of the HD (about 6Mb ?) part of a system backup". .....Is this likely or has he confused the used part of the 180Gb HD, 6Gb? seems more likely to be the loaded goodies. Will there be a hidden partition for the day when things go pear-shaped?

2. With pre-loaded XP is he or is he not entitled to some sort of CD to restore XP to the way it is today?

I can feel a home visit coming on! I would just like to be seen not talking nonsense when I go there!

Diodorus Siculus 09:34 01 Sep 05

This may give you a starting point.
Support Packard Bell uk - Product Page - Model - IMEDIA 1307
click here

gudgulf 09:49 01 Sep 05

From my own experience Packard Bell i-media pcs will have the entire installation of Windows and the software backed up on a hidden partition on the main hard drive.

They used to supply a red floppy disc which would allow you to recover the machine to factory specification or do a repair installation of windows.It would also allow selective software reinstallation from the hidden partition.

Bear in mind that my pc was an older version running Windows Me....but check for a bootable floppy disc/cd somewhere in the package.

For more information on the 1307 model click here

Information about the motherboard click here

and some information about the backup partition click here

lastly to a link to get the manual click here

Hopefully that should help you.

Diemmess 12:22 01 Sep 05

Just the sort of help I've come to expect on this forum.

The advice may never be needed by me, but I feel a lot better after looking at those sites.

Diemmess 12:45 01 Sep 05

As you guessed, ways have changed. There is indeed an unapproachable Backup drive. No floppy (no floppy drive) but from reading the pdf manual I thing he will be pressed to make a DVD or CDs of that backup drive once the thing is personalised and initialised or whatever. He gets a one-off chance at that.

All clever stuff, but I hope he calls his neighbour in at the beginning then if anything goes wrong I can feel superior :-)>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…