New Pc, are these good programmes to install?

buel 20:38 14 Aug 08

Hi, iv just bought a new computer and im planning to install the following programmes for maintenance purposes:
Ad Aware 2008
Gefraggler
Guardian Anti-Spy
Avg
CCleaner
Revo Uninstaller

Are these ok and can anyone please recommend any others or any other advice? It runs Xp..
Thankyou-Craig

Technotiger 20:58 14 Aug 08

I would say they are all OK. But add a free Firewall like Comodo or similar. Also a useful program like PC Wizard 2008 which is also free.

Finally Acronis True Image if you have not already got it.

gdaines 21:52 14 Aug 08

CCleaner is excellent. I personally didn't like Comodo, seemed too awkward, and so find myself keep going back to ZoneAlarm. The popups are clear and not too obtrusive, so it's fairly beginner friendly (not a bad thing even for us experts).

Acronis True Image is good, and at work we use Ghost (although I wish when Norton bought out PowerQuest that they'd switched to using the Drive Image interface which is much better than Ghost). However, neither program is freeware, they're commercial and will cost you to obtain legitimately. If you go for Ghost you'll need at least v8 for XP, and v11 for proper Vista support.

Consider 7zip as an alternative to Winzip and Winrar. Compression in 7z format is massively better than zip (1mb made 750k zip and 200k 7z), and it's freeware so totally legit. If you were happy to pay for one of the others why not donate, and if you were going to steal one, why bother when you don't have to.

Not used the other stuff so can't comment.

skidzy 21:54 14 Aug 08
  birdface 11:01 15 Aug 08

Not my selections.But everyone has there own favorites.I would try Skidzy's link and see if there is anything on there that you would prefer.I can't actually find anything on Google. for Gefraggler.I would only use programs that come highly recommended.

birdface 11:02 15 Aug 08

Oops.Defraggler you meant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant