New PC Advice

DJM 14:05 08 May 04

We are thinking about buying a new PC but most of the reviews I can find are for a whole bundle of stuff rather than just the box - we already have a new monitor, keyboard and mouse. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Our current PC is a PII 350mHz one so almost anything would be better I guess. We use the internet a lot, all the Micrsoft Office programs, have a digital camera, don't play many games (although do have 2 children who are starting to become interested)and are quite intersted in digital video editing but this isn't a must. I don't know if it makes a difference but we have a wireless network for our current PC and the laptop.

Not got too much to spend so I suppose I'm looking for a bargain!

DJM

byfordr 14:10 08 May 04

click here
Build to Order

click here

click here

click here

How much are you looking to spend? £500 £750 £1000?

R

DJM 14:12 08 May 04

Definately not more than £750 - would prefer nearer £500! Poor student I'm afraid....

Thanks for the links.

jim1947 14:13 08 May 04

Try here click here

byfordr 14:22 08 May 04

Something along the lines of this would fly click here (configure one without monitor)

Recommend at least 512mb, large hard drive 160gb+ video eats through it like theres no tomorrow. Also would recommend a DVD burner. Very useful for backing up film. Perhaps get a basic system and add bits in yourself (ie DVD burner,graphics card, extra hard disk) You'll get more for your money.

R

woodchip 14:41 08 May 04

I just got one from MAKRO Warehouse a Medion 2.6 CPU 80Gb H\Drive, only 256MB ram, DVDRW+CDRW 7 USB2 ports three of them at the front four at the back one firewire at front and sound and mice at front same at the back floppy drive, and joy stick port front and back

full XP CD also Works 7 NERO 6 and a Restore disc that can be used to

rebuild start files,

or rebuild system and driver files

or a full restore to shipping status

could not get better CD support

just over £400 inc VAT

woodchip 14:42 08 May 04

Forgot a Radion Card with TV out and all other ports at the back

woodchip 14:48 08 May 04

Everything exept a monitor, includes a multimedia keyboard mouse etc and a pair of cheap speakers

DJM 15:09 08 May 04

Thanks for the advice - I'll have a look at those. Unfortunately no MAKRO near here but they occasionally have similar offers at Lidl I think. I'll have to keep an eye out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…