New PC

highside 14:45 30 Sep 06

Advice sought please - How best to go about the following when replacing computer with a new one?

1) Nothing naughty on my machine but would like to clean it up as far as poss for selling, is there anything else can be easily done apart from say doing a reinstall from the installation disk.

2) How about the best way to change my programs and data over to the new one? Is there an easier way than saving all my data (emails) etc to disk?

Thanks for any advice.

terryf 14:59 30 Sep 06

Click on desktop and press f1 then type data transfer into search box

Belatucadrus 15:02 30 Sep 06

1) Try eraser click here

2) Run the files and settings transfer wizard, just type migwiz in the run box.

Belatucadrus 15:03 30 Sep 06

Moving programs will be next to impossible without the installation executables.

Totally-braindead 15:45 30 Sep 06

Agree with Belatucadrus about the programs, you will find them very differcult if mot impossible to move. The data should be moved no problem though.
Personally I would not resell a PC before I had reformatted and reinstalled from scratch.

Jak_1 16:32 30 Sep 06

Unless you have personal details ie banking etc or anything naughty on the drive then simply delete the data files. If you have personal files then delete them usinga program such as BCWipe or eraser. Then use the sytem disk to re-install windows or let the new owner do that so they can input their own details.

So long as you have the disks then simply re-install programs on the new computer and tranafer the backed up (to cd)data files to the relevent programs.

highside 21:39 03 Oct 06

Thanks for all advice

highside 12:58 07 Oct 06

I thought I had finished with this but another problem arose if you will help please,

Have discovered that there is no disk included with my PC for reinstalling XP. Its a Packard Bell 2.6 Ghz 512 RAM, bought new originaly from PC world who it seems dont answer questions once warranty has expired. The Packard Bell FAQ site says that you can use Smart Restore (start - all programs - Packard Bell Support - Smart Restore) But when I select this feature a box appears saying "file missing"

Any advice please (apart from "never buy a machine with no installation disks in future)
Have also tried sfc /scan now which ran OK I think but did not show any actual results, ie it just closed after the percentage indicator completed its run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now