New PC

The Dazza 12:17 20 Jun 06

I have just bought a new pc and was told it has a 160gb hard disk. When I look on properties for the drive it says capacity 137,427,943,424 bytes 127GB. I know the full capacity doesn't normally show but this cant be right - can it?

xania 13:15 20 Jun 06

Could well be that the system has a hidden partition which is being used to store your operating system for recovery purposes. However, I double this would take more than a couple of GB and you seem to be adrift by 30 Gb. But it could be that the balance simply hasn't been formatted as a virtual drive.

Check what you system says when you first boot - should give the HDD model, and see what that indicates. Also, if you have something like Partition Magic, you can see what else is hidden on the drive.

Whatever you do, don't open the box, as this could invalidate any warranty. If software cannot answer, I would challenge the supplier for an explanation.

The Dazza 14:04 20 Jun 06

When I got the machine it wasn't formatted so I just booted up with the xp disk. How will I be able to tell the correct disk size as there is nothing obvious on boot up and computer management is saying 127.99GB. Thanks

The Dazza 14:07 20 Jun 06

You say "but it could be that the balance simply hasn't been formatted as a virtual drive" - how do I check this?? Thanks

lotvic 00:37 21 Jun 06

^

rdave13 00:46 21 Jun 06

Have a read here click here

Strawballs 00:54 21 Jun 06

Go to control panel then admin tools then disc management and see what it says you might have a non formatted partion.

rodriguez 01:09 21 Jun 06

Hard drive capacities are a pain in the arse. When they're made, all the 0's and 1's (bytes) on the drive that store the data add up to the nearest 1000, and a GB is 1024 MB and a MB is 1024 KB and so on - which means it has less space than what is quoted on on the label, because the label on the drive that tells you it's capacity - for some unknown reason - measures it to the nearest 1024 to try and give a round number in gigabytes. So a cheap 80 GB drive will contain 80,000,000,000 bytes, and this is just labelled as 80 GB, when it's true value is around 74.4 GB when you do the maths. And the larger your drive the more you lose and if the computer was fitted with a cheaper drive you lose even more because cheap drives don't try to compensate for the capacity lost. Anyway labelling drives as 160 GB when they're clearly not is wrong and I'm sure one day they will be labelled with their true values. Also the NTFS file system that Windows uses does take up a bit extra space but not a great deal.

xania 12:44 21 Jun 06

FDISK from the C:\ prompt or using any Partition Manager

The Dazza 13:46 21 Jun 06

Yeah, I thought of this myself and came up with what I thought myself was rather confusing, here goes:
Current fixed disk drive:1
Partition 1, Status A, Type NTFS, Mbytes 65526, Usage 100%, Total disk space is 21553 Mbytes

How do you get 160GB from that then??

citadel 17:20 21 Jun 06

I know my pc needs a bios update before it will show the full 160 but you should not need to do this with a new pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…