New pc is 1GB ram enough?

X2 ZERO 08:02 06 Sep 06

Pc with XP home will be mainly used for internet, mail,a bit of dvd-cd burning,will adding another 1GB ddr2 ram be overkill for my use and could i save a few quid by not doing so.if i decide to get vista at a much much later date add more ram then,also if i buy just 1GB should i get 2x512mb or 1 stick of 1GB.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:13 06 Sep 06

It will make no difference whatsoever for what you need. Get a 1Gb stick or 2x512...whichever is cheaper. Instead of another 1 Gb stick buy an external HD or a 2Gb memory stick for backups. These will be of much more use.

G

€dstowe 08:18 06 Sep 06

1GB RAM will be perfectly OK for your uses. As you point out, you can always add more later.

Regrading 2x512MB vs 1x1GB, I would go for the two sticks. This is in case one of the chips fails - if you have two sticks, it's easier to replace and you're not left without memory.

Ensure, though, that there are enough memory slots to do this and to add more memory later.

Sethhaniel 08:41 06 Sep 06

speed or better spec processor

I added 512mb ram and saw no difference whatever

then they advise its the processor that needs upgrading ;)

Stuartli 08:42 06 Sep 06

With your present system in use bring up the Windows Task Manager>Performance tab and you'll be able to see just how much memory is being used at any given moment. It will provide a guide as to what you may need.

I have 512MB and it's more than adequate for my purposes including use of a PCI TV card, although I don't have any interest in games(!)

Input Overload 09:25 06 Sep 06

Regarding whether to install memory in pairs click here on the Crucial site.

X2 ZERO 14:37 06 Sep 06

Thanks for replys i will go with 2x512mb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…